5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

unplugged O2's now it runs fine what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 10:24 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default unplugged O2's now it runs fine what gives?

remember me? the guy who spent bookoo bucks with no results? what is this telling me? since it connects to the mass air,does it mean my mass air is out of calibration? wiring harness(o2's) is bad? extension's bad?...(long tubes) i tried it both ways,and as soon as i plug it all back in it does that tadatadata thing until i hammer it! the o2's are 1 month old since i replaced them when i was trying to track the problem. your 2 cents is worth it to me.....so let R rip.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:44 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: unplugged O2's now it runs fine what gives?

sounds like your o2 sensor is bad just replace them all
Old 10-22-2004, 10:59 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i did that's what's bugging me could it be my injector harness since it's tied into it ?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:19 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

omg this is like a dream i had the same thing and i posted it. I went through all hell to find out what the hell was wrong with it. It happened to me right after i started to do exasht mods to the car. Then i bought new o2 sensors and i slowly see that it started to get into this time when it would just pop and backfire and run really ****ty. I mean it would idle ok but it would just be really slow and poping up hills. I went and got a new EGR valve, New fuel filter, Temp Sensor, 20 bucks of fuel injector cleaner, took it to a shop and they said it was the new coil i put on so they put on a stock one and the damn thing ran the same so my dad and i thought over and was really pissed at why a car would do such a thing. So we go for one last draw and unplugged the o2 sensors. Batta Bing, it run wonderful and mods ran strong. I too thought it was the mass air (that i needed to convert). So for my occassion i think it was banging against the tranny and the o2 would arc on the metal. Well for me now i have other problems. But did you do any mods to the car? If so what? i would say check your fuel rail for anything (i doubt anything would be rong) also for me it a little bit of vaccuum leak at a moduel. Well i have not looked into it that much because the car is sitting in the garage right now awaiting a new fuel pump when i last just put one in (from the stock one) about 2 months ago. So idk if it is just a bad pump that i bought (from advanced auto "new"). There were two choices: High Pressure or Stock and i got stock because i did not want to hear the old tail of stock engine not being able to take it and leakin. Well now im off subject. Well i hope i could help but it should run fine with them off but might run a bit rich.

Nick
Old 10-22-2004, 11:27 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

yeah it's modded...i unplugged my extension harness to tuck them up (hanging low enough to see not desirable)then all of a sudden i got this crap.think the wires are heat soaked?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:52 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

do any of you guy's know what's up with this?
Old 10-23-2004, 12:56 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

after you did all the mods, did you reset the KAM (keep alive memory) in the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable for at least 10 minutes? if not, try this and see what effect it has, maybe it will clear things up for you, can't hurt to try anyway.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:43 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i'm doing it right now,but i was told to just leave them unhooked,cause of my cam...i'm getting a pms soon
Old 10-23-2004, 09:22 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

what is wrong is the bung needs moved forward..the 02 sensor is too far back...this is one of the neg of long tubes on some car
Old 10-23-2004, 09:37 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

so can this happen random? meaning out of the blue? the l/t's have been on there for over a year.dyno tuned back in may,and seen the track,and back roads all summer with no problems......................again thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: unplugged O2's now it runs fine what gives?