5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

carb, speed density, or maf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:50 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default RE: carb, speed density, or maf?

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

megasquirt for the win....

EFI owns.... Its nice to be able to start my car when its cold outside
i have been able to start my car when its cold i was able to start it right up with it was 10* the other day
Old 02-16-2007, 01:56 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

this statement is partly true, acutally the finely tuned carb will beat out a finely tuned efi anyday, adn the a carb is prob easier to work in the sense u dont need any sensors or need to worry what little thing is wrong wit the comp that is makin my car run like sh*t. with a carb its all right there. but for a dd yea maf or sd is the way to go.
ORIGINAL: amhsraptor

IMO efi is so much easier. the fact that you can just hook up a comp is much easier than dealing with every vacuum line, and a finely tuned efi can beat a carb easily. if its a dd then sd or a maf is fine. you probably dont need a radical cam. my cousin has an x cam and he built a lx coupe that only dynoed 315 to the wheels and his advice to me that if you want a radical cam dont use it as a dd cuz it will run aweful. basically if you want a nasty cam dont rely on your mustang as a dd
Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 AM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

i was just sayin what i was told from some of the most knowledgeable people i know. yes the carb is easier to work on, but its a personal preference if you have the software and connections then i would rather tune a car with a computer. thats just my opinion.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:10 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

well i dont see why carb is bad for a daily driver i know a lot of people that drive car/trucks with carbs as dd's with no problems and theres nothing like having the secondaries kick in and make the car take off
Old 02-16-2007, 02:14 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

yea but normally everyday u have to come out and tune it. and to some people that sux even though at most if u kno what ur doin it will take about 5- 6 mins.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

for price, carb would be cheaper to build. For DD, and modding, definatly MAF, EFI is pretty much limitless when it comes to tuning. MAF FTW
Old 02-16-2007, 05:53 AM
CompOrangeHatch
2nd Gear Member

I think alot of you who are speaking bad about the carb either 1. Never owned a CARB and are talking out of your *** or 2. are rather high in age 40+ and just dont know how far CARBs have came in the last 10 years.

yea but normally everyday u have to come out and tune it. and to some people that sux even though at most if u kno what ur doin it will take about 5- 6 mins.
Thats probaly one of the stupidest posts I have ever read.

Go with a carb man. Buy a Barry Grant 650 and dont buy edelbrock carb. Thats are horrible.

If you stay EFI go with a FAST SD. Big $$$$ though

As far as the huge and radical cam. Mkae sure it pulls enough vacum for DD abuse and if its thats big your gonna need a awesome valvetrain to stay together for DD use.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

With a double pumper that aint even working correctly past idle. I can start my car in the cold if I pump some gas in it from the squirters.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 PM
steel1
2nd Gear Member

I've had a couple of old, carbed muscle cars(72 chevelle, 65 Plymouth satellite big block). A carbed car can run great and be reliable , although you have to chose the right one for your motor size and have it tuned/ jetted correctly. You can change heads, cam, intakes to endless combinations with a carb. With all that bieng said, it depends what you want from the car, for a daily driver I would go MAF. You get the ability to change hci and have great reliability, also it will be easier to comply with any emissions laws your state may have. For a car driven mostly on weekends for fun its a toss-up to me. If you do go with a carbed set-up I would not suggest an edelbrock, I had horrible performance from mine, I would go good old Holley. Frankly though, I have had myfill of carbed cars and am currently looking for a nice clean fox body w/MAF.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM
93whitelx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: georgiaguy246

ok i have a 87 gt which is speed density. would it be better going to carb. or maf when i begin to mod or what? how hard is the maf swap compaired to swapping to carb? most of my family is more familar with carb. compaired to maf and stuff. which would be cheapest and more reliable for a daily driver? would carb. be better than maf in the long run or what?
carb , colder weather you need to let it run for a bit , but just slap on an intake an rpm one form edelbrock and an 600 to 650 carb that should be good

Quick Reply: carb, speed density, or maf?