5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hey hurry

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
cassimus
3rd Gear Member

Default hey hurry

i have a man at my work and the truck will not crank. the motor turns but does not fully turn over....i tried jumping him off and it still acted no different what could it be?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:51 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: hey hurry

Does it crank at a normal speed or does it sound like it's slower than normal? It's not uncommon for a car to still act that way when getting jumped. Especially if his battery is shot and the connection is bad or if you're using weak cables.

It its cranking at full speed and you're getting nothing, then check to see if it's getting fuel and check to see if its getting a spark.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:56 PM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

+1 on the fuel and spark
Old 02-16-2007, 05:58 PM
cassimus
3rd Gear Member

thats jsut it its definitly getting fuel but just no spark and all the connections are secure.......could it be a starter, distributor cap? but it sounds like it wants to crank but just doesnt fully turn over but when i hooked the jumper cables up my car didnt even surge and i even reved the car up to like 4 rpms and still no difference maybe hes just an old man and forgot to put gas in it lol
Old 02-16-2007, 06:41 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

How did you check to see if it was getting fuel and how did you check to see that it wasn't getting a spark?

If it's getting no spark, it could be a lot of things in the ignition system. But if it's all cylinders, you may wanna check the Ignition Control Module or the coils. I assume it's a newer vehicle that doesnt have a distributor?

I'm still not sure what you mean when you say that it "soudns like it wants to start but doesnt quite turn over." Is it cranking at full speed or does ti crank slowly while slowing down teh more you try? I'm still not so sure you've eliminated a battery issue.

When my battery was shot in my Mustang, I couldnt get it to jump for the life of me. I had an LT1 running and hooked it up to my battery and it still wasn't enough. I ended up having to use a half-dead battery jump pack along with the LT1 to get her to start. Turns out it was a dead cell, wouldn't hold a charge even after running for 30 min. Turn it off and try to start it right back up and not even a click. New battery solved the issue.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 PM
cassimus
3rd Gear Member

well the craziest $hit just happened he got up under the truck (93 z71) with a crobar abd beat the gas tank a few times and id be damned if the thing started right up.....a mechanic friend told him it was the fuel pump but who knows it worked i guess like kicking your tire ha
Old 02-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cassimus

i have a man at my work and the truck will not crank. the motor turns but does not fully turn over....i tried jumping him off and it still acted no different what could it be?
GROSS!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:45 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

tap on the starter and have the guy crank it over, it works sometimes, tap on the solenoid of the starter.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

tap on the starter and have the guy crank it over, it works sometimes, tap on the solenoid of the starter.
If it was a bad starter / solenoid, it wouldnt crank. It would just sit tehre and do nothing If he has it cranking with no problems then it's probabny not the starter. Especialyl if hitting the fuel pump got it to work.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

haha yeah but question, if you said you were getting fuel I dont see how it was the sending unit/pump. But then again a guy at my garage had a 95 1500 chevy and his cranked over but wouldnt fire, we beat the hell out of the tank with a coal shovel and the sucker fired right up! he drove it for aboot a year then sold it to someone and they had the same problem but didnt know what it was so they gave it back to him for junk and he is still driving it! haha

Quick Reply: hey hurry