5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I HATE WINTER!!! *stuck starter= dead car..*

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

Default I HATE WINTER!!! *stuck starter= dead car..*

well i got the bright idea tonight to go take my car out for the first time since it started snowing here because i was tired of depending on my parents to get places. and it was doing just fine for a while. then we went to go something to eat and got back in it, started it up and it was making a really weird noise. so i shut it off and the starter kept going. but it wasnt allways ingaging, but then it grabbed and started it back up so i thought im just gonna have to drive it home like that. (its snowing while all this is happening too..) so i got on the road and the starter seezed and killed the motor. i didnt have any electrical at all either, not even the horn. but i think that was because my alt doesnt like my underdrive pulleys and i was driving around with the heat, defrost, head lights, and stereo on, so didnt really get a chance to recharge.but i tried costing into a parking lot but got stuck half was in the entrance and half on the road. so i called a buddy and had him tow me the rest of the way in the parking lot. [/align][/align]so my car is sitting in a jewlrey (sp¿) store parking lot i guess just over night, and hopefully ill find some place to tow it tomarrow.. i got a buddy that works at a shop thats let me use there lift before so hopefully i can get in there again and check the damage.. man, right when i was about to do my 5 lug swap and put the new wheels and tires on too. i think this might just make me sell the car.. not so much that it broke but i keep putting a lot of money in this car in aftermarket stuff when i should be saving for a house or something. (im only 18, but cant start to soon you know.)[/align][/align]anyone know of some things to check for this problem? a friend of mine told me to check the starter selenoiyd (sp¿). and im sure the starters junk, but you guys think ill need a new fly wheels too?? any other thoughts?[/align]
Old 02-17-2007, 04:14 AM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I HATE WINTER!!! *stuck starter= dead car..*

Check the starter solenois like you said, i doubt the flywheel teeth hot stripped that easily......thats crazy how it killed your engine? was it the starter or not?
Also are you running a smaller puley on the alt? or not cuz that causes charging issues, you ight already know that though...........
Old 02-17-2007, 04:19 AM
89 NoTcH
2nd Gear Member

man that sucks, i have been battling a charging problem myself. i suggest you dump that alt pulley and get the factory pulley back on. i have a 140 amp alt and still had problems so i had to get the stock pulley back on. i also went and bought the baddest battery i could find. but ya this cold sucks gettin down to almost zero at night here in st louis.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

ya i kinda thought it was a little weird that the starter killed everything too.. but obveously i wont really know where im at untill i get it on a lift. which im working on..

and ya there was a big ordeal with the pulley on the alt and i have the best pulley on it right now but still with everything electrical that the cas has, all running at once and then idleing a lot, the alt still cant keep up. which im hoping thats the issue with not having any electical then something else that went wrong..
Old 02-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

ya im in springfield and i think it got to like -15 the other night..

you getting snow down there?
Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 AM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Bummer man, yeah u porbably know im not too far from ya, its been f-ckin freezxin out lately, i fired my ride up today to drive it,started right up, knock on wood, but thats some crap, i havent had charing issues at all with my car, how new is the alt? on your car, i know mines within a year old
Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 AM
89 NoTcH
2nd Gear Member

ya were gettin a little snow herebutits nothing major just brutally cold. i just put a new alt and battery in, so i got some pulleys since it was a bigger alt i thought it would be fine. but no it wasnt. also dont buy a junk *** autozone battery, just spend the extra 20 and get a good one.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:49 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

ya the alt on my car is stock.. i think. i have only had the car for like 2 months. i think the alts on its last leg anyway. but im going to put the stock pulleys back on and see how that does. i got a new battery, but the alt still just cant keep up. im sure itll be fine in the summer being that i wont need heat or a defrost. but who knows if i will have the car for the summer.. =[
Old 02-17-2007, 04:50 AM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Hey 89 Notch, whats pushin 450 rwhp and runngin 18's? hope its not your stang..............thats be very bad
Old 02-17-2007, 05:15 AM
89 NoTcH
2nd Gear Member

thats justa joke. thats why its says 8 sec reaction time and team narcolepsy racing. if you dont know narcolepsy is i disorder where someone can fall asleep in mid sentence or on the starting line. lol

Quick Reply: I HATE WINTER!!! *stuck starter= dead car..*