5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

too much crank case pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

Default too much crank case pressure

well i got my motor back together after swapping my cam (ecam) and i've been dicking around trying to get it to start, had it started twice but when i went to time it the car stalled out do to turning the dizzy thr wrong way, well i went and picked up some more gas for the car (was running low) and tried to start it again, andnothing, so i turned thekey again andpushed the pedal alittle bit and bam my pcvvalve andoil cap came flying off andwhite clouds ofsmoke came out of both holes. anybody have any ideas why?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:45 PM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: too much crank case pressure

cam timing, you could be a tooth off on you timing chain.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:47 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

that's what i was thinking but would that make the oil fill cap shoot off and the pcv valve blow off?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:31 AM
militarymustang88gt
2nd Gear Member

i know my friends did that when his piston was cracked cause the presure would build up and when the gas and spark hit it would send all that pressure into the crankcase i would only worry about that if you take the oil filler cap off and it pours smoke other than that cam timing
Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 AM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

sure, the intake and exhaust valve arent timed right like a mini backfire. sounds like rings are wore too.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

hmmm well the motor's only got 2000 miles on it and everything was fine when i took it apart. also with the cam i just lined it up dot to dot. hmmm i thought it might just be something with the distributor.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:34 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

ever think of installing a negative crank case setup they sell them in summit
Old 02-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

dont even know that that is. well i was able to get it started again today... re did the dizzy and plug wires. but now it wont start again. the only way i can get it to start is to crank it while pushing the pedal down and if i hold it down to the floor the rpms only go up to about 8-900. any ideas
Old 02-19-2007, 07:10 PM
militarymustang88gt
2nd Gear Member

did you tear it down after it was doing this cause if the cam was to far advanced your valves would have flown into the piston causing it to crack it would still run just have a ****load of crank case pressurenot to mention it isnt good on the block

the easiest way to check without tearing the motor down is to pull off the wire of the num1 cylinder and try and crank itand work your way down tillit runs without blowing the top off then you would know that it is a piston/or ring problem on the cylinder that is off at that time cause it wouldnt cause compression from the spark air and fuel to build the extreme crank case pressure

other than that i would just check tps fuel spark all those things
Old 02-19-2007, 07:22 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I3atR!ce

dont even know that that is. well i was able to get it started again today... re did the dizzy and plug wires. but now it wont start again. the only way i can get it to start is to crank it while pushing the pedal down and if i hold it down to the floor the rpms only go up to about 8-900. any ideas
DONT WORRY YOU HAVE FUEL INJECTION YOU COULDNT US IT ANY WAYS. CHECK YOUR IAC TOO

Quick Reply: too much crank case pressure