5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Question: Vacuum lines / EGR / Smog

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:18 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Question: Vacuum lines / EGR / Smog

For a week or so now I've been trying to figure out what to do with these vacuum lines. I recently saw someon e else on another forum had hte same issue and they had taken a better pic of the lines than I did. So I'm stealing their picture and posting it here hoping that someone here can help (they didn't get many useful replies on the other forum.:

I'm taking about the red, green, and pinkish vac lines. The red one used to go to the upper intake near the elbow. (I took an actual pic of it like 3 weeks or so ago but it wasn't a good pic and noone knew what the hell it was, lol.)The green one went to the EGR. I have no clue where the other one went... can't remember off the top of my head.. Can I just cap these off or do I still need to have any of them installed? Perhaps the red one that was attached to the intake elbow? I still have my smog pump installed, just not my EGR.

Right now I have boh the green and the red one capped off. The nipple on the intake elbow has also been capped off. But I just want to make sure I don't need something conencted here for driveability issues. Again, I can't remember where the hell the other one is... I'll have to look at that one later.

Any ideas what to do? Cap them all off? Ignore them? What?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question: Vacuum lines / EGR / Smog

I will look when I get home. It's wierd how those are coming out of the fender like that.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:38 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

That's not my car... I just stole his pic because it was MUCH better than the one I took. But mine do come out of the same area. Only difference is that I routed them under the S/C intake tubing so it's a LOT harder to see them. But I know there must be something I am supposed to do with them. Not sure if I have to reattach the red one that was on the intake. Or can I just leave them all capped off.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I know its some other guys car. It just looks different than mine. I will check when I get home and tell you where each one is going to on my intake. I do have my all my smog stuff bypassed. So some are capped off.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Those are the vacuum lines for the smog solenoids (AIRB and AIRD), EVR solenoid and vacuum reserve canister located behind the fender wall ...check the pic below and look at the AIRB/AIRD solenoids to the left..

Old 02-19-2007, 04:24 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

So I take it that I will ahve to hook at least the red one back up to teh upper intake elbow correct? Else the vacuum reserve canister is left out of the loop?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

yup you need em all hoked up on my 94 i got the green to the egr and the red extended ith hose to the intake manifold from the kenne bell. Of course i had to redo all those vaccuum lines so they are looking different then stock now. i also got the regulator running of the same tee as the red line.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

FYI......for the SN95.......

Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

yup you need em all hoked up on my 94 i got the green to the egr and the red extended ith hose to the intake manifold from the kenne bell. Of course i had to redo all those vaccuum lines so they are looking different then stock now. i also got the regulator running of the same tee as the red line.
Well I can't put them ALL back.. no EGR So it looks like I'll have to cap the green one and put the red back on the intake...which is gonna suck because I kinda snapped it in half when remove it, lol. The line was so brittle it literally snapped in half like a stick. But I can repair it with some vacuum tubing so that wont be a problem.

I wonder if this is causing my idle issues when in D or R. I couldn't find the leak for the life of e, but I wonder if that line is needed.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

FYI......for the SN95.......
Kick ***! Thanx

Quick Reply: Question: Vacuum lines / EGR / Smog