5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

351w block

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 351w block

ORIGINAL: amhsraptor

trying to learn i am open to criticism
Just being honest, you have no clue what it takes to make a cleveland work, not cause there inferior or cost more. I see guys on here have trouble with simple rocker arm adjustment on a pedestal head, I can only imagine them working on a canted valve cleveland head [:@]
Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

no and whoever told u this is wrong, the bellhousing will need to be changed and the oil pan will not work, u will need header custom mad. but on the plus size if you are pretty good with motors, than a cleve is for u, the cleve will hold and make much more power than a windsor the 4v closed chamber heads will make and hold up to 600 hp when matched with a cam intake and maybe a bore over. but the windsor like someone said is like the 350 of ford motors, they are so easy to build and so simple and not expensive. stick wit the w

so let me get this straight cuz im very confused right now. the cleveland will bolt right in? how much hp/torque can the windsor take?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:10 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LTnone

Stay away from the cleveland... It's a beefier/more powerful block stock for stock, but building a 351W is a TON cheaper and parts are much more readily available
Im gonna be nice and all BUT an iron cleveland head from 1970 will make more power than 95% of the aftermarket aluminum windsor heads, and they dont cost anymore unless you plan on building your motors from a summit catalog.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 AM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

ok thank you this is my project so i am getting ready to build and wont be done for a couple years since im entering college. would it be an unreasonable move to go with a power adder. i also heard about destroking a bored overthe 351to a 347 to give a better jump off the line; is it true? i think it would be redundant to go small after boring over
Old 02-20-2007, 01:13 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

ok thank you this is my project so i am getting ready to build and wont be done for a couple years since im entering college. would it be an unreasonable move to go with a power adder. i also heard about destroking a bored overthe 351to a 347 to give a better jump off the line; is it true? i think it would be redundant to go small after boring over
empty your head of the old destroking methods employed 20 years ago when there were no cylinder heads available, along with long rod motors
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

+1 on that, and the only w heads that make more power are the all out race heads like the afr 225's. so if u got some spare money make a 357 clevor motor and u will c well into 600 hp from the stock cleve heads.
ORIGINAL: fordstroker

Stay away from the cleveland... It's a beefier/more powerful block stock for stock, but building a 351W is a TON cheaper and parts are much more readily available
Im gonna be nice and all BUT an iron cleveland head from 1970 will make more power than 95% of the aftermarket aluminum windsor heads, and they dont cost anymore unless you plan on building your motors from a summit catalog.
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

ok i got it stick with windsor. thank you
Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

You mean a ported stocker, right? I haven't heard much about the Clevelands performance-wise, but you called it... My research back in the day was based on said Summit catalogue Any idea how much a stock C weighs?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:17 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

cleve weighs 550 lbs, the windsor weighs 525
Old 02-20-2007, 01:18 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

and no stock bone stock the heads will flow well into 600 hp, they are truly big block heads on a small block.

You mean a ported stocker, right? I haven't heard much about the Clevelands performance-wise, but you called it... My research back in the day was based on said Summit catalogue Any idea how much a stock C weighs?

Quick Reply: 351w block