MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Throttle position sensor (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/24786-throttle-position-sensor.html)

fasteddie 10-25-2004 05:12 PM

Throttle position sensor

I am building a 5.0 fuel injected motor, how do you adjust the throttle position sensor?

Thanks!
Ed

88GT40 10-25-2004 05:29 PM

RE: Throttle position sensor

yeah i asked the same question a couple days ago should be posted just look for the post.

88GT40 10-25-2004 05:36 PM

hey i found it courtesy of (roundman) "you use the digital voltmeter to check the output voltage of the TPS by using the positive meter lead to probe the green wire coming from the TPS while having the negative meter lead grounded to the engine. with the key on but engine off and throttle closed all the way, the voltage should read less than 1.0 volts. too much less and the ECU is not as responsive as it could be as it sees the throttle open only from 1-4 volts, so if you set it up to .98 volts, then as soon as you step on it, the ECU "sees" it and will respond. you don't have to remove any screws to adjust it just loosen the two screws that hold it down and rotate it in place and watch the voltage change. then tighten down the screws when you get the voltage where you want it. you might have to remove the whole thing and elongate the screw holes in order to get it to move far enough to get to .98 volts, but this is easy to do with a Dremel tool. once you get it set with throttle closed, check the voltage at WOT and make sure it is above 4.0 volts. you should see the voltage change upwards as the throttle is opened and downward as it is closed. if not, then replace the TPS." good luck

vfast 10-25-2004 10:20 PM

under 5.0 volts for WOT

vfast 10-25-2004 10:25 PM

*L* really

mdvaldosta 10-25-2004 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 88GT40

hey i found it courtesy of (roundman) "you use the digital voltmeter to check the output voltage of the TPS by using the positive meter lead to probe the green wire coming from the TPS while having the negative meter lead grounded to the engine. with the key on but engine off and throttle closed all the way, the voltage should read less than 1.0 volts. too much less and the ECU is not as responsive as it could be as it sees the throttle open only from 1-4 volts, so if you set it up to .98 volts, then as soon as you step on it, the ECU "sees" it and will respond. you don't have to remove any screws to adjust it just loosen the two screws that hold it down and rotate it in place and watch the voltage change. then tighten down the screws when you get the voltage where you want it. you might have to remove the whole thing and elongate the screw holes in order to get it to move far enough to get to .98 volts, but this is easy to do with a Dremel tool. once you get it set with throttle closed, check the voltage at WOT and make sure it is above 4.0 volts. you should see the voltage change upwards as the throttle is opened and downward as it is closed. if not, then replace the TPS." good luck
haha roundy got quoted this time... ahhh memories...

roundman 10-26-2004 02:40 PM

I appreciate the credit given 88GT40![sm=thanx.gif]