5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

damn thing caught fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:50 PM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

Default damn thing caught fire

I was driving back to work from lunch, and I started smelling something burning. Then the interior started filling up with smoke. When I pulled over, my alternator was burning, and my ignition coil was smoking. I've been having a problem with my alt., so I assume that was the problem. What I want to know is, would driving with my alt burned out have been the cause of my coil smoking? The way I've figured, the coil trying to send a powerful enough spark to keep the engine running without the power to push the spark cause the coil to smoke? I figure the coil is still good, because the car didn't die. Any clues?

Vic, the proud owner of a viscious money pit!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: damn thing caught fire

your alternator could have been pumping out too much voltage, which could have caused your coil to smoke out
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

That sucks. Maybe a bad ground somewhere, or bare wires ?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 PM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

Shouldn't the voltage regulator prevent that?

Vic
Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah, normally. but faulty regulators are kinda common in our stock alt's, for some reason.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:28 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

"Thermal Event with Visual Effects"? (automaker term for fire)
You may have a bad ignition module. If it shorts to ground internally, the current flow through the coil will get out of hand and cook the coil. That's what your module does, but it does it extremely fast. Sometimes that transistor will melt together and stay grounded. It should pop a fuse as well. It would have to take a rather resisted short to ground to get the current high enough to generate that much heat but not high enough to pop the fuse. I've seen it happen though. You got some looking around to do - there is a good reason your coil let the smoke out
Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

that sucks man i wouldnt exactly say it was on fire now my car was on fire got a faulty carb from holley floats got stuck started spitting gas out everywhere and it was up in flames had my hood up while i was trying to start her i look up and the flames where coming out of my hood scoop the hood was white now its this

Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 PM
81TTOP

i had a S-10 one time bad chose kinda the only reason i got it casue i got it for free from my daddy then i was drinvin home from school one day and it went up in flames the carb was leakin gas the that was the end of tha POS!!!!!!!!!! never again will i own a chevy
Old 02-20-2007, 11:03 PM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

Okay, well, I pulled off the old alternator. The plug that goes into the top of the alt. was melted. Can anybody tell me how to replace it? I would just use wire connectors, but coming strait off the alt, I don't know if that would handle the currnet. Oh yeah, and where would I get the proper plug? (the long one, not the short one). I've pretty much decided to replace the ignition module, coil, alt, and voltage regulator. Plus that plug if I can find it.

Vic
Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 PM
boof1027
2nd Gear Member

81TTOP

Punctuation is your friend. I am out of breath reading your post!
Never had one catch on fire, my carb backfired once while my dad was reving it by hand. It didn't hurt him but he was missing all kinds of hair from his arm.

Quick Reply: damn thing caught fire