5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can I upgrade my heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Can I upgrade my heads?

So I'm considering a set of Thumper heads for my 88. I know a lot of you will say to skip the Thumpers and save up another $600 for aluminum heads, but for now, I won't be doing that. The one thing keeping me from feeling great about upgrading the heads is that my car uses a quart of oil every 1200-1500 miles. As a note, I've heard some people say that their 5.0s have used this amount of oil since brand new. The car runs awesome, and all spark plugs look the same...clean. Let's say my cranking compression is around 165 on all cylinders. Can I feel good about upgrading my heads?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can I upgrade my heads?

I always feel good about upgrading heads, what about a cam?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustnglvr

I always feel good about upgrading heads, what about a cam?
I don't think I want to go to the trouble. If I were gonna do the cam too, I'd be tempted to have the work done instead of doing it myself. I'd love a cam, but really don't want to commit that kind of time to swapping one in. So you'd do the heads if you were in my situation?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i think it will make a fine upgrade
Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

Thanks Jasper. My apprehension stems from having heard people say that if you put new heads on an old bottom end, it will make the bottom end worse. I can barely see the logic in that, but wanted to get some other opinions. It's a hard question because I don't know if mymotor uses oil because it's worn, or because it came from the factory that way. I guess there's only one way to find out for sure whether putting heads on will be a good idea...try it and see. Anyone have any direct experience with this?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

does it leak oil or actually use it?

my friend just put a supercharger on his gt with over 300k on it
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

does it leak oil or actually use it?

my friend just put a supercharger on his gt with over 300k on it
My car actually uses that much oil. There are no real leaks.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:55 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I'd say if it runs good then go for it. I would think about doing a cam at the same time though, it really isnt much more work especially if you want one.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

forged pistons will tend to burn a little more oil when cold than cast or hypereutectic but couldnt say whats an acceptable amount.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Thanks Jasper. My apprehension stems from having heard people say that if you put new heads on an old bottom end, it will make the bottom end worse. I can barely see the logic in that, but wanted to get some other opinions. It's a hard question because I don't know if mymotor uses oil because it's worn, or because it came from the factory that way. I guess there's only one way to find out for sure whether putting heads on will be a good idea...try it and see. Anyone have any direct experience with this?
You can't see it b/c there isn't any....that is like saying that a xxx,000 mile engine cannot have a head gasket failure fixed b/c it will make the bottom end worse....+ your oil consumption problem could be fixed once you have new valve seals, guides checked and repaired as required, etc. Send Thumper an e-mail, and if you do, tell him to remember that the GT40p's he's doing for Project S.O.S, should be painted in Ford gray......

Quick Reply: Can I upgrade my heads?