5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 Mustang Stalls, let engine cool starts OK again - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 PM
fushnicken

Default 89 Mustang Stalls, let engine cool starts OK again - HELP

Guys,

Need help. My sister has an 89 LX 5.0. Every once in a while the car will stall on her. If she lets it sit for a while the car will eventually start up again and run just fine. The car is not overheating and engine temperature is in the norm. What gives? My dad changed what he describes as "the coil" on the distributer.

Unfortunately, I live about 3000 miles from thetwo of them so I cannot go and take a look at what is happening at all.

Any ideas on this. I didn't even know that they made a model year with a coilright onthe distributer itself (wondering if it's aftermarket???) Again since I have never owned a stang between model years 85-94 this is slightly uncharted territory for me. The only Mustang I have ever owned with EFI is my current SN95 and I have never had a problem like the one that sis' is having.

Any tips on what we should be looking for. Trying to relay info to Dad to diagnose the problem remotely.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Fush
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
91trunkster

Default RE: 89 Mustang Stalls, let engine cool starts OK again - HELP

My 89 gt would do the same thing would run great and all the sudden start to spit and sputter,backfire and run like crap then eventually die and not start back up. I would let it sit for an hour or so and it would start back up and run fine. I changed the coil on mine and it did the same thing so it wasent that. Well after changing all kinds of s**t on the car and getting frustrated a buddy of mine aske me, have you checked the fuel pressure? I said no I havent but I should. Turned out its a good thing I did it ended up being the fuel pump pissed me off I chased that problem around for two years. After I put the new fuel pump in never had that same peoblem again hope that helps ya out.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 PM
fushnicken

It's certainly worth a look.I will have him check on the fuel pressure. Just need to think of a quick test.

Appreciate the feedback.

I know someone is going to ask. So here are some more details.

The TFI module (which I had to look up to understand what the heck Dad was talking about) and Cap/Rotor were changed recently, The problem occured before and after this change with no difference in behavior
A/C is not being run when this happens
The car is stalling when driven for a while on hot temp days
Car is stalling while driving, not at idle and not when the car is at a dead stop.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
91trunkster

Same thing with mine it would be more **** to doing it on hot days.