5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Bejiita

Default 302 rebuild questions

So Im rebuilding a 302 out of a truck, but its got the pre threaded block to convert it to a hydraulic roller cam anyways. But when I got it the block was pretty rusty and the pistons had to be beaten to death to get out and all the lifters are stuck and only come out about 1/2 way, dont know if this is a common thing or not? I havent got measurements on the bore yet but I was looking at a 30 over kit and dont know if thatll cut out enough to even the bore out? Ive heard yes and no so I figured Id ask the real people, can you go 60 over on a 302? If so how hot will it run being constantly turned at 7000rpm?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 302 rebuild questions

Take it to .030 if it does not clean at .030 go .040, if .040 does not work scrap it
Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Bejiita

Well its easy to say that but I dont got money to spend boring 3 times(2 for this block and 1 for my other 302)
Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Bejiita

Well its easy to say that but I dont got money to spend boring 3 times(2 for this block and 1 for my other 302)
Well any legit shop is not going to charge you to take it to .030, see it wont clean and then take it to .040, if they charge you twice, run and run fast. The run it .060, doesnt bother me. Did you budget in sonic checking the cylinders to measure the thrust side at .060? Didnt think so, do it right or ventilate a cylinder at 7000rpm. Heh what do I know
Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Bejiita

What the hell are you talkin about? I know of no shop that bores for free in Wyoming we get charged for machine work
Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Bejiita

This is why I dont like the average mustang guy, thats why I own an rx7....is it or is it not safe to go to .060? If it is how hot will it run being a high rpm motor?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:41 AM
93whitelx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bejiita

So Im rebuilding a 302 out of a truck, but its got the pre threaded block to convert it to a hydraulic roller cam anyways. But when I got it the block was pretty rusty and the pistons had to be beaten to death to get out and all the lifters are stuck and only come out about 1/2 way, dont know if this is a common thing or not? I havent got measurements on the bore yet but I was looking at a 30 over kit and dont know if thatll cut out enough to even the bore out? Ive heard yes and no so I figured Id ask the real people, can you go 60 over on a 302? If so how hot will it run being constantly turned at 7000rpm?
just find another block , there not that much too get another one

Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Bejiita

Well I got another one, but its an older one and I was hoping to go to hydraulic roller without drilling and tapping the other block, and Im building this in a shop class and dont want to fall behind because everyone else already has their engines fully disasembled but me lol. Do I need a hydraulic roller to spin to 7,000rpm safely and efficiently?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 AM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

Accurate blueprinting for any engine takes time and equipment, and a necessity for getting the best in durability from your build. Doesn't matter if its reciprocating or rotary.

Short answer: no. You'll have no margin to rebuild if something happens to the engine.

Nudge-nudge, stomp-stomp, wink-wink answer: yes. And kits are already available for that bore. If you just want max displacement, the block was inexpensive, or just don't care if the block dies a little sooner, then yes, you can.

But don't overbore more than you have to. Get a Haynes or Chilton manual to check your out-of-round and taper limits.

And if you don't like the 'average mustang guy', don't come back. Who do you think hangs out here?

And DBZ sucked.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Bejiita

Well I guess Ill just use my other block since no one here knows what Im trying to get at,I agree DBZ wasnt very good I just like the name and have been using it for several years. I dislike the average mustang guy because everyone that Ive met that owns a mustang thinks they are super badass ****** because they can drive in a straight line. I was hoping to get a straight answer if 60 over was safe or not so thank you.

Quick Reply: 302 rebuild questions