5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tuning?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 PM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

Default RE: tuning?

ORIGINAL: Chitown racer

Megasquirt is abit simplistic and deals only with the fuel system. PMS and TwEECer are good do it yourself tuning devices if your looking to learn how to tune. I wouldnt recommend trying to tune a Turbo car as your first attempt though. Most people start outlearning to tune onan N/A car, more room for mistakes and much less chance of KABOOM!Letting a "reputable" local tuning shop dynotune your carwould beyour best option. They will probablybe able totune it with the device of your choice and if itblows up becuzof a tuning error its on them not you. If you do decide to tune it yourself, atleast make sure you have someone with tuningexperience help you out.
Megasquirt can be a complete standalone unit and can control both fuel and spark. Only problem is that you have to put it together yourself, OR you can buy a kit thats put together for a little bit more money. And if its in a fox, you can buy an adaptor board and put that together, so you dont have to hack apart your wiring harness. It is a great kit and does everything that the AEM, PMS, etc. does for MUCH cheaper. Its more of how much your willing to spend and if you have the skills to do it yourself.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: redmustang83596

Megasquirt can be a complete standalone unit and can control both fuel and spark. Only problem is that you have to put it together yourself, OR you can buy a kit thats put together for a little bit more money. And if its in a fox, you can buy an adaptor board and put that together, so you dont have to hack apart your wiring harness. It is a great kit and does everything that the AEM, PMS, etc. does for MUCH cheaper. Its more of how much your willing to spend and if you have the skills to do it yourself.
Exactly. Im actually putting the finishing touches on my wiring harness as we speak. I have it right here on my desk while im surfing. I'm hoping to get the car started on the MS this weekend, if all goes well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26017/F8E795751AAA4A5C800893B6EF25CDF5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26017/D240D1A1639643168A805518D7A4AF72.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 PM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

So your not gunna use the adaptor board? Your just gunna splice into the harness?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:39 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

im not real good with electronics so im guessin the megasquirt wouldnt be a good pick for me? i dont feel comfortable hackin my whole harness apart and rewirin sh*t together .... is there a bolt in management out there ? price isnt a problem as long as its not over 1500 or so bux
Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 PM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

Um im not 100% sure, but I dont think there are any plug and play standalone management systems. The PMS might be, but thats not a standalone.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:46 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

look into the tweecer if some is going to tune it for you and later you can try it yourself.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:49 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 91lxstang

im not real good with electronics so im guessin the megasquirt wouldnt be a good pick for me? i dont feel comfortable hackin my whole harness apart and rewirin sh*t together .... is there a bolt in management out there ? price isnt a problem as long as its not over 1500 or so bux
apparently you have missed all of my posts about megasquirt where i said...

YOU DONT HAVE TO CUT YOUR WIRING HARNESS!!!!!!!!

www.megaefi.com makes a direct plug and play adapter... which I have. You need a db-37 cable to interconnect the MS and the adapter... and thats what IM making.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

I would look into the Anderson PMS.......or FAST.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:54 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

dude calm down... im reading a book for school and reading these posts i missed that part but now i see it.... im not bein rude i just didnt see what u said.... in that case the megasquirt is top on my list.. thanks bro
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

www.megaefi.com makes a direct plug and play adapter... which I have. You need a db-37 cable to interconnect the MS and the adapter... and thats what IM making.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

dude calm down... im reading a book for school and reading these posts i missed that part but now i see it.... im not bein rude i just didnt see what u said.... in that case the megasquirt is top on my list.. thanks bro
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

I put it in caps so you would see it this time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tuning?