5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil and deisel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 PM
mypony89
1st Gear Member

Default oil and deisel

I was told that if you think your lifter is dirty the first thing to try is adding about a pint of diesel in your oil, run it a few miles, change oil with cheap oil, run for about 500 miles, then change that out with good oil and you should be good. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: oil and deisel

Never heard of that one. Try some seafoam.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
HuntMarsh
1st Gear Member

yeah, seafoams more fun anyways.

just a question, could you get a ticket for using seafoam on public streets? never heard of any problems with it, but i dont imagine coppers would like it?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM
mypony89
1st Gear Member

I've seen people mention seafoam before. Guess I'll see what all the talks about.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:32 PM
ttoppedaerocoupe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HuntMarsh

just a question, could you get a ticket for using seafoam on public streets? never heard of any problems with it, but i dont imagine coppers would like it?
I had a friend in Maine who did it in his old Audi- in the parking lotof advance auto right after he got it.He got pulled over about a mile down the road and the cop basically just said it could be construed as reckless, because he knowingly pulled onto the streets, and all the smoke could affect the other drivers.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:33 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the seafoam is a good way to clean up your induction if you do it through vacuum. the back of the bottle says you can add it to your oil and clean everything up, but i havn't verified this. i'm a bit skeptical of adding flammable things to my oil.
if you buy it, and do it through the vacuum lines, do it SLOWLY.
About a half bottle is good enough for a preliminary cleaning, and half the bottle through the vacuum line should take about 15 minutes to do. Tilt the bottle very slowly towards the vacuum line until the vacuum itself starts to actually suck the liquid right out of the bottle.

Many people on here just say to dunk the vacuum line into the bottle. This is NOT the correct way to do it, and you risk hydro-locking your motor.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I have heard the same thing about diesel gasoline, but I have never dared to try it. I always stuck with seafoam myself...which isn;t too far off from diesel anyway... petrolium based products

As far as using it on a public street, yes you could get in trouble for it. Here there's a law saying that if you have visible emissions from your exhaust that lasts more than 5 consecutive seconds (not counting water vapor) then you can be summonsed.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Seafoam is the way to go.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:35 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttoppedaerocoupe

ORIGINAL: HuntMarsh

I had a friend in Maine who did it in his old Audi- in the parking lotof advance auto right after he got it.He got pulled over about a mile down the road and the cop basically just said it could be construed as reckless, because he knowingly pulled onto the streets, and all the smoke could affect the other drivers.
I'm in Maine too. Sounds like that particular cop didn't know about the specific emissions law, else he would have cited that instead of going with "reckless." Although I guess you could go with reckless, just going to be harder to prove since it's criminal and not civil... which means you have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt and not just by proponderance of the evidence.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Also, after you use the seafoam through the vacuum line, turn the car off for about 15 minutes. Then start it up, and keep it at 2000 rpm until the smoke is gone. Do it on private property and nobody can say a god-damn thing.

Quick Reply: oil and deisel