5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Should a stock block be a big problem for me??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:21 PM
hurricanes0688
1st Gear Member

Default Should a stock block be a big problem for me??

In my other post someone asked me if i was running my novi 2000 and hci on a stock block. I am so am i going to be having a big problem by doing this, what should get or do in order to be fine running all my stuff, lastly id like to keep the stock block becuase i dont have much money after buying all my other stuff, so what can i do to it to strenghten it and or whats my cheapest route if i need a new block to build on?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Should a stock block be a big problem for me??

Have you taken it to the dyno yet? How much boost are you running?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

It all depends on how much boost your running, but if the car has over 500 horsepower or close to that the bottom end is not going to last very long.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:40 PM
hurricanes0688
1st Gear Member

no i dont have any of my stuff put on yet , its all going on the end of march when im home from college, i think it should be running around 8psi, plus the HCI. So what are my options for making the bottem end better, car is going to be driven more then just weekends once spring starts because my lincoln LS now had a blown headgasket and looking in my dads labor guide book at work just to take out and put that engine in 14 hrs compared to the mustang which is 5.2 hrs. So looks like that car isnt gonna get fixed for a while and its gonna need an engine. But back to the topic car will prob be making around 400-450, so far according to you guys looks like my bottem end isnt gonna last that long, what can i do to improve the bottem end and or what else could i buy that is the cheapest way to go that will alst longer
Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

stock bottom end can take 450rwhp without much trouble. just keep a conservative tune and you will be fine. the rings may go on you tho. they blew out on my stock bottom end at 461rwhp. oh well, the new motor tranny combo will be fun.............it better be for $4K
Old 02-24-2007, 05:52 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

stock bottom end can take 450rwhp without much trouble. just keep a conservative tune and you will be fine. the rings may go on you tho. they blew out on my stock bottom end at 461rwhp. oh well, the new motor tranny combo will be fun.............it better be for $4K
You got a new bottom end and tranny for 4 grand? What kind of block are you using now?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:59 PM
90ford5liter

Do you have the engine out of the car? Are you putting the parts on or are you having them installed?

If you are leaving the engine in the car there isn't much you can do at all. Don't push super aggressive timing, and don't spin it to max rpm.

If you have the engine out of the car you can put a girdle on the bottom end from a company like coast high performance. The girdle is fairly easy to install even for a novice. The girdle will tie your main bolts and oil pan bolts together in a big web. This helps to prevents cap walk, crank snaps, block cracks due to sidewall flex, etc. And girdles are only $150.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
hurricanes0688
1st Gear Member

no end of march were doing it at my dads shop, so me and him will be doing the work not getting it insalled by anyone else, also another question according to alot of people on hear i need a dynotune, what would happen if i went without a tune and about how much will i pay for a tune thanks

O yea engine is getting pulled for the project wont be done in the car so is that gridle going to do a whole lot and is that the only thing thanks
Old 02-24-2007, 08:28 PM
90ford5liter

I would say the girdle is mandatory if you are taking it out, would be pretty stupid not to do one for the price. The chrysler big block is2 bolt mains just like the ford small block, motors with 550+hp without the girdle have bad cap walk, crank wear. Motors upward of 800hp with the girdle have no main cap walk and greatly improved strength.

Obviously translate these numbers down for the smaller motor. The girdle is just a steel shim that slips over all the bolts. But the bolts, or studs, in the main caps and the oil pan can not wiggle side to side since they are strongly tied to all the other bolts. When a bolt starts wiggling side to side under high hp is when you can get metal shift and cracks, or split a block. I don't know how else to put it better.

You will definitely need a computer tune with the supercharger. I don't know where you are located, but here in San Diego I think my brother paid $500 at JBA. He gained 30rwhp and 45rwtq from the tune, but power aside, before the tune the car wasn't really driveable with all the different parts and stalled a lot.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:33 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94ford5liter

You got a new bottom end and tranny for 4 grand? What kind of block are you using now?
'68 cougar block, main stud girdle, fully forged 331, 10:1 compression, custom cam.ARP bolts and studs on EVERYTHING. re-using my heads, intake, sc, and meth injection. switched to long tube headers

rebuilt my aod:
already had a mechanical diode and 2" OD band from a previous rebuild. put in a A++ servo, new OD band, upgraged from 3 to 4 clutches in the intermediate clutch set, upgraded from 6 to 8 clutches in the direct clutch set, full manual valve body with electric OD delete + trans brake, one piece c6 input shaft, new converter. plan to wire up my 2 stage rev limiter as well.

just have to know the right people. the valve body is $866 before shipping. i paid $656 with shipping, brand newdirect from art carr

Quick Reply: Should a stock block be a big problem for me??