5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

never ending problem.. help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

Default never ending problem.. help Please.

Okay let me tell the whole story.... I have a 89 lx 5.0.. okay. When my uncle rebuilt my transmission we bumped the timing to 14*.. It was at 4*.

My mods are. trickflow stage 1 cam, bbk shorties, bbk 65mm t/b, bbk intake, cobra intake manifold, somekind of fuel pump, 3:73 gears, flow's 40 series... x pipe no cats..

Well lately the car has been acting very very weird... Its hard to explain sometimes the car will be fine to drive and sometimes when your crusin and you give it some gas the car will feel like its struggling to move..the rpms go up VERY slowly and sometimes the car will jerk you around back and forth feeling like your tryin to drive at 1500 rpms even when its at 2600... I hear a bangin SOMETIMES from under the car.. When it jerks around sometimes the x pipe ( i think ) hits underneath the car.. It feels as if someone is laying on the ground punching up and hard into the bottom of the car and it makes such a loud noise people on the next block hears it... After that stuff happens the rpms will go up faster and you will get throw back into the seat.. CLUELESS to what this is.

To save you some time is some responses
I just got brand new rotor and car, brand new wires, sparkplugs have 500 miles on them, new throttle position sensor, and new mass air flow sensor.. A few days ago my uncle changed the 195* thermonsta to a 180*.. The problem has happend with both thermostats... I will notice when im driving for like 25-35 mins the car should be completely warmed up but the degrees on the thermostat will drop which is when this problem happens the most.. Somebody please help i spent so much in the past 3 days tryin to fix it and nothing is working.... We bumped the timing back down to 4* before thinkin the timing was too high but the car ran 90% worse.. bang bang bang bang bang thats all you heard from the bottom of the car
Old 02-24-2007, 07:14 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: never ending problem.. help Please.

Does the car free rev just fine? Sounds like it has a problem accelerating( under load)
Old 02-24-2007, 07:14 PM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

well even in the car is in neutral and i rev it .. it goes up very slowly and sometimes the xpipe will hit the bottom on the car still..
Old 02-24-2007, 07:28 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: reduceallpain

well even in the car is in neutral and i rev it .. it goes up very slowly and sometimes the xpipe will hit the bottom on the car still..
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. sounds wierd, i guess you could eliminate driveline problems then.......so is the bangin the x-pipe you porbbaly hear then? and have you tired scanning the computer to see what comes up yet?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:31 PM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

Yeah scanned the computer... only 2 codes came up i dont remember what they were but i do remember it was nothing that would be making the happen.. I'm going to scan it again monday just hoping maybe i could get some help and ideas here....... i was thinkin something going on with fuel
Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

To save you some time is some responses
I just got brand new rotor and car, brand new wires, sparkplugs have 500 miles on them, new throttle position sensor, and new mass air flow sensor.. A few days ago my uncle changed the 195* thermonsta to a 180*.. The problem has happend with both thermostats... I will notice when im driving for like 25-35 mins the car should be completely warmed up but the degrees on the thermostat will drop which is when this problem happens the most.. Somebody please help i spent so much in the past 3 days tryin to fix it and nothing is working.... We bumped the timing back down to 4* before thinkin the timing was too high but the car ran 90% worse.. bang bang bang bang bang thats all you heard from the bottom of the car

So do you even reach normal operating temp? which you need to be above 185 according to Ford, that when the A/F ratios even out
How are the 02 sensors? And do you mean bogging down when you say struggling?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:39 PM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

it says it doesn't i thought it was because the 180* is colder then the 195* thermostat....... well the car would have to be warmed up itswhat i dont get..... if its driven for 40 mins on a 40 degree day it should be fine...o2 sensors are brand new.. and no i mean struggling.... like if the car was to always drive like that a 93 chevy cavalier with 95 hp can beat it by 5 cars length in a race.. like it doesnt wanna go
Old 02-24-2007, 07:47 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Do you think its the engine that has a porblem? i mean you did say it wont even rev good in neutral.......im just wondering why, internal/vavletrain/crankshaft assembly/ sensor porblems? hell its beat the hell outta me.......with a stick too
Old 02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

That wierd, it sounds like a bad oxygen sensor but that's obviously not the case. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If not, go rent one from autozone (or a similar store), hook it up, and rev your motor.See what the fuel pressureis doing.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:48 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Dude that noise you hear from the x pipe is the car backfiring. It sounds like its running lean. My car did the exact same noise and jerked back and forth, turned out it was the fuel pump. Check out your fuel filter and also the in-tank filter.

Quick Reply: never ending problem.. help Please.