5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Your Thoughts on a Car for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:45 PM
jrt1990
3rd Gear Member

Default Need Your Thoughts on a Car for Sale

Hey right now I'm looking at a 1987 Mustang GT, it's a 5 speed, has a new clutch and new rear tires, 92,000 miles, has red interior, has a crack in front ground effects and passenger side door has a dent from pulling it into a garage, otherwise their isn't a scratch or spot of rust on the car.
The guy wants $2500 for the car.

What I'm asking is, is this a really good deal that I should really go for or should I take some time to think about it?
Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Your Thoughts on a Car for Sale

Obviously its been put through some abuse if its got a new clutch and rear tires but what 5.0 hasn't been abused. I'd take it out for a drive and make sure the tranny feels alright and no wierd drivability problems. Sounds like an alright deal though.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:56 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Shop around man. I looked for a Supra for like three years and never found the one I wanted (and could afford). Took me about a year to find this mustang. I came across a lot of good deals. I wanted a great deal. Nothing worse than coming across a better deal like two months later and thinking [:@]you know? Look online every day, leave notes on cars you see in parking lots (got my first Toyota like that), read local trader mags and want ads and most importantly -CALL. You MUST get more info than the ad has to offer. I wish I could show you the ad for the car I have now. You could tell the guy was reluctant to sell it. I called it as a"last choice" and it turned out to be the best car I ever checked out....I drove 11 hours and paid 6 grand.....still haven't seen a better deal......... thoughts.....
Old 02-25-2007, 06:59 PM
jrt1990
3rd Gear Member

He just called back about it after a guy looked at it and told me the guy didn't have the money. He also decided to tell me that they realized the throwout bearing is going bad. Would you guys still go for it?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:05 PM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

for $2500, yes I would. You could probably talk him down to $2k or at the least $2250

Vic
Old 02-25-2007, 07:06 PM
jrt1990
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Shop around man. I looked for a Supra for like three years and never found the one I wanted (and could afford). Took me about a year to find this mustang. I came across a lot of good deals. I wanted a great deal. Nothing worse than coming across a better deal like two months later and thinking [:@]you know? Look online every day, leave notes on cars you see in parking lots (got my first Toyota like that), read local trader mags and want ads and most importantly -CALL. You MUST get more info than the ad has to offer. I wish I could show you the ad for the car I have now. You could tell the guy was reluctant to sell it. I called it as a"last choice" and it turned out to be the best car I ever checked out....I drove 11 hours and paid 6 grand.....still haven't seen a better deal......... thoughts.....
I know, I have been looking around, every day I periodically check eBay, Autotrader, Craigslist, the Mustang Classifieds here, and wherever else cars are sold on the internet. I even grab the autosale mags. It's been awhile and even though I have $1600, my dad agreed to give me a $900 loan that I can hopefully pay off on the farm this summer. I don't know where you live but southern Wisconsin isn't exactly the best market for a clean Mustang 5.0. Plus the fact that the ricers around here are outta control.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:12 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

take cash it always talks start out low and work ur way up. like 2gs with u in ur pocket and leave the rest in ur car. if they so no just be like well i don't want to have to do this but i got another 100 bucks in thecar will u take that? try that. that has worked alot of times for me with parts
Old 02-25-2007, 07:15 PM
jrt1990
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys, just thought I'd let you guys see what the car looks like.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

I've done deals like that

Vic
Old 02-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I think that, if there's nothing wrong with the car (besides the throwout bearing), I'd buy it even for $2500...if necessary. The questions is: Why, if the car has a new clutch, is there something wrong with the T/O bearing?

Quick Reply: Need Your Thoughts on a Car for Sale