5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

roller rockers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: roller rockers worth it?

Ok stop arguing, you're both right in a sense, but, the power to be gained is measured in decimal places. Get heads instead. You can pick up a set of GT-40P's for under $300 if you want power.

Also, valve springs don't add power, if you're going to be all technical, as you are, they take away power. A worn out set of springs at 3k will make more power than a new set at 3k, for the simple reason that they're a lot easier to press. All springs do is change your power band, those worn out springs wont work at 6 grand, but your new ones will... but the added range of the new ones is well worth it of course, not denying that
Old 02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I know how to make power, that's not theissue here. I was just wondering in the first place if the roller rockers made a SOTP difference, we have since come to the conclusion that they will not. What I was trying to say is that in my case, I'm making more power with the TF springs that were made for my cam, than I would with my stockers. If I would've left the stock springs in, I would be making less power than I am making now.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 PM
sbx213
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02
Also, valve springs don't add power, if you're going to be all technical, as you are, they take away power.
Thank you very much. Something i've been trying to say but I guess I kept it too "technical" for him to understand.
92hatchlx you asked for others opinions and I gave you mine. Just exactly how much horsepower you think new roller rockers will give you?
Go look for power elsewhere. If it were me, I would have changed those rr a while back when the swap was first done.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02
Also, valve springs don't add power, if you're going to be all technical, as you are, they take away power. A worn out set of springs at 3k will make more power than a new set at 3k, for the simple reason that they're a lot easier to press. All springs do is change your power band, those worn out springs wont work at 6 grand, but your new ones will... but the added range of the new ones is well worth it of course, not denying that
Unless said springs aren't strong enough to keep the valve from bouncing, or to snap the valve shut fast enough at high rpm.

It depends a lot on the weight of your valves as well.

Back to the rockers, I'd say yes. 1.6s will add a small measure of power. Friction is considerably lower with rockers than with stampers. But like precision balancing and adequite cooling, its more about having a happy, healthy, longer lasting engine.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
tjmon1
2nd Gear Member

92hatchlx is right. They do add horsepower. It's not that great an amount but they DO ADD HORSEPOWER!!!!! I think that sbx213 is just trying to pull your chain a little.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Forget it dude, you're not seeing what I was trying to say about the springs or anything. What were you trying to make me understand that was so "technical"? That our motors came stock with roller rockers (which they don't). That the stock, worn out valve springs will restrict potential power (which they will)? I'm not looking for power, if I was looking for power I'd go out and buy a blower or a set of AFR's,something that adds power.Can you read?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tjmon1

92hatchlx is right. They do add horsepower. It's not that great an amount but they DO ADD HORSEPOWER!!!!! I think that sbx213 is just trying to pull your chain a little.
That's what I'm thinking.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:21 PM
sbx213
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX
What I was trying to say is that in my case, I'm making more power with the TF springs that were made for my cam, than I would with my stockers. If I would've left the stock springs in, I would be making less power than I am making now.
That would be more of a case of how long those stock springs will last. Powerwise, it will be fractional and to me thats nothing.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

No it wouldn't be fractional. If I would've left the stock springsin, I would probably be floatingthe valves at 4000 rpms, youalso risking binding them too.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

do a 3g swap and an electric fan!

Quick Reply: roller rockers worth it?