5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

double din in console?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:39 PM
stang4ever

Default RE: double din in console?

Why not do it similar to how I have mine? No cutting/Trimming/adding wires.... Everything will work exactly the same.... No drilling holes, it uses ALL the same mounting holes...

Old 02-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Drexl
3rd Gear Member

yeah i feel ya dude..thats a nice ride...
lemme look into whether or not the factory radio covers these holes.. im swappin my radio out anyway.. so ill check it out.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

After looking at some pics of stock radios on ebay, it looks like you could adapt the factory clips (zinc/brass things toward the front and a plastic clip in the back, right?) to an aftermarket radio without a ton of trouble. Truthfully, I hate all stock decks, but I like stock radio mounts (all the aftermarket mounts do, in general, look cheesey).

After market decks have a whole world of holes in the sides of them for foreign car installations. H holes being Honda, T holes for Toyota, etc, etc. So... Just modify the factory clips so that they screw into the H/T/etc holes on an aftermarket and you're in business.

Or... Get the same dash kit that everyone else has and build a mount for the radio itself off of the heater controls (or whatever other factory holes are there), then just use the dash kit as a trim piece with a small amount of double back tape in each corner. No holes and a clean install.

I'm not trying to harp on the same thing over and over, I just want to make these options more apparent to you. Any radio can go in the dash without changing anything stock if you want to take the time to do it.

edit: Or... Get a good spare console (readily available) and hack the snot out of it... If you ever want to put it back to stock put the other console back in.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

IMO that looks cheap, that's why I don't want to do it, it just doesn't look like it belongs there. I like the clean factory look. Those two holes at the bottom are drilled too, there are no holes down there, I have two consoles out of cars, and mine doesn't have a radio in it, none of them have any holes in them.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maxwelhse

Or... Get the same dash kit that everyone else has and build a mount for the radio itself off of the heater controls (or whatever other factory holes are there), then just use the dash kit as a trim piece with a small amount of double back tape in each corner. No holes and a clean install.
Well, thing is, there is no way of mounting a deck with some brackets added with the factory radio in, which is why ford used those clips, there's just no room, console goes along the side of it. I can't see a way of doing it without drilling.

Here's the radio I want to install... just so everybody knows which I'm talking about:
http://i10.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/8c/d1/a7d2_1.JPG

I think it'd look nice and clean in there...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

The braket that attaches an aftermarket unit to the mounting kit is just a sheet metel box around the deck and it fits in the console. Something like that is really all ya need. Weld some more sheet metal hangers to the aftermarket box and you're in business. For that matter, make stand offs that support it from the floor pan and use the bolts that go in the sides of the console to hold it in.

I agree, that unit would like really nice in there.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
stang4ever

I think it looks good, its hard to emphasize how good it looks in person, the pictures may make it look cheap, but if your going for a show car, you dont want it to look like it was made there in 89, you want it to look totally custom to how the rest of your car is. If you like how the newer ones look, which i highly doubt will look like it goes there because its more round than a fox body is supposed to be, then put it in there and see how it looks, You can make anything work if you really want.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:02 AM
pbguns
1st Gear Member

its real easy just take out the old radio buy a dash mounting kit at best buy for 19.99 uses the same holes that are already ther use that dash kit to install the new radio u don't have to drill any holes the climate controls dont have to be moved down or ne think as far as putting a ford 6 disk changer the harneses are probly different so u cant jues plug it in