5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Long day on the garage floor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Long day on the garage floor.

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin 5.0

One of these would have been great!
Sorry, wrong style compressor. That would not work for a 50 spring. That's basically a strut spring copressor. You need the kind that goes up through the middle of the spring and compresses it from the inside.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Sorry, wrong style compressor. That would not work for a 50 spring. That's basically a strut spring copressor. You need the kind that goes up through the middle of the spring and compresses it from the inside.
that one could have worked, but like ive said

YOU DONT NEED A GOD DAMN SPRING COMPRESSOR
Old 02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

that one could have worked, but like ive said

YOU DONT NEED A GOD DAMN SPRING COMPRESSOR
How, please explain how that big, bulky tool is going to get in the tight confines of the spring location. I'll stick w/ my original statement.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Wisconsin 5.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin 5.0

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

The only time you should have to use spring compressors is on drag springs. Your supposed to remove the control arm to k member bolts when swaping springs. It makes instalation a whole lot easier.
That would have been nice, and I know what you mean, but I was working on the floor off of jackstandsby myself and it didn't seem feasable.
Im assuming it took you 5+ hours to get the springs done, where-as if you had just disconnected your sway bar end links, you could have been dont in under 3 hours.

I swapped out my FMS C springs for Eibach Sportlines in 2.5 hours. It took me .5 for the two rears, at once, and 1 hour for the fronts, each.

on the floor, with hand tools, and a floor jack!
I did disconnect the saybar links, still didn't have enough room...oh well...lesson learned. I was installing the Ford Racing springs. I should have disconnected the tie-rod and posssibly dropped the entire contol arm. The problem really seemed to be the angle the Control Arm sits at when the strunt and swaybar are disconntected....if it were more horizontal than vertical.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Wynn
2nd Gear Member

Do you need an alignment after installation?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:53 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Wynn

Do you need an alignment after installation?
yes

and pro, once the strut is unbolted from the spindle, and the control arm is lowered... you have all the room in the world

it usualy helps if you turn the wheel towards the side you are working on... gives you MUCH more room
Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 PM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, you shouldn't need a spring compressor. I used my foot and a floor jack. I just un-hooked the sway-bar and tie-rod end.

But front springs are not the funnest thing to do...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:24 PM
GaryBisiniere
3rd Gear Member

it took me awhile to get the fronts in too. all the bolts and stuff never wanted to come off and i couldent get the spring in then once i did the compressor did not want to come out. finally got it done tho!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I cant wait toinstall my k member, a arms, coil over kit, struts, c/c plates, etc. [&:]prepare for alot of "WTF I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS ?!?" theads
Old 02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

I did mine on my old foxwith out the use of a spring compressor too. I rented one but didnt need to use it. Like adder said just remove the sway bar end links. Its pretty straight forward.

Quick Reply: Long day on the garage floor.