5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Which drag radial would you pick in my situation...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM
ModularFox
Banned

Default RE: Which drag radial would you pick in my situation...

what all is done to the car? I have limiter launched mine on slicks when the rear end was stock other than 4.10s and didnt break it. but just to be safe i got some moser 31 spline axles.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

if those are the only two choices then get the bfg's. nittos arent the best or even close. i have a buddy who runs them. he has a bunch of suspension mods and just over 300rwhp and he says they spin horribly
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

How bad are these going to pick up little rocks and stuff on the dirt? I should be alright just as long as I don't do a big burnout before I get onto the dirt roads right? I've talked to a few people about the Nitto's and they are all saying that they're a great street drag radial. A lot of people are reccomending the BFG's though. I know that the BFG's area stickier tire, but are they really practical for a car that's driven 3-4 days out of the week if the weather permits? I don't want to have to get a new pair every other month. I've heard that you can get like 10,000-15,000 miles out of the Nittos if you're not doing a bunch of burnouts. What about the BFG's?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

How bad are these going to pick up little rocks and stuff on the dirt? I should be alright just as long as I don't do a big burnout before I get onto the dirt roads right? I've talked to a few people about the Nitto's and they are all saying that they're a great street drag radial. A lot of people are reccomending the BFG's though. I know that the BFG's area stickier tire, but are they really practical for a car that's driven 3-4 days out of the week if the weather permits? I don't want to have to get a new pair every other month. I've heard that you can get like 10,000-15,000 miles out of the Nittos if you're not doing a bunch of burnouts. What about the BFG's?
For what you are after, the Nittos will suit you fine. And you can get 10-15 K out of them. They won't pic up any crap on them unless you've heated them up. For all the haters, does this look like I'm having a hard time hookin???
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rrent=1233.flv
Old 02-28-2007, 12:20 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ModularFox

what all is done to the car? I have limiter launched mine on slicks when the rear end was stock other than 4.10s and didnt break it. but just to be safe i got some moser 31 spline axles.
There's a few things in there that don't add horsepower, but I don't feel like going through and deleting all of them. Hope this helps. For the record, when I had just a few bolt ons and gears I could only manage a 2.3 60 ft. With everything that I've got in itnow, I'm going to for sure needs slicks before I head out to the track again.

-Custom Built Edge Racing 3000 rpm torque converter
-Baumann shift kit (and sonnex boost valve)
-TrickFlow Street Heat upper and lower intake manifolds
-TrickFlow Stage 1 Camshaft
-TrickFlow Valve Spring Upgrade Kit
-Ford Racing Hydraulic Roller Lifters
-Summit Racing Timing Chain and Gears
-Slightly Ported and Polished Stock Heads
-Summit Racing Adjustable Shift Light
-Kirban Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
-BBK 70mm Throttle Body
-MAC cold air intake
-Pro-M 75mm MAF
-MAC 1 5/8" unequal length shorty headers
-MAC 2.5" off road h-pipe
-MAC 2.5" Flowpath catback with 3" tips
-MAC underdrive pullies
-MSD cap/rotor
-Taylor Spiro-Pro plug wires
-MSD Blaster TFI coil
-3.90 gears
-3 rowradiator
-B&M transmission cooler
-Summit upper/lower rear control arms
-Ford Racing "C" springs
-Hunsaker Vinyl Synkros in Black Vinyl (seats)
-Strange Engineering 10 way adjustable shocks and struts
(subframes will be welded in before I get my drag radials also)
Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

I love my BFG's. They work great. However they do wear fast, if you are doing burnouts. I have too, because when I race it is in the mid 30's and traction is a must. A small burn out and then hook great.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i no you dont wanna hear it, but im picking up m/t's friday, and well ima suggest them, but was very close to getting the bfg's, only reason i bought the m/t's is cuz they cut me a good deal on them. so outa the two, bfg...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

I've got 16"wheels and they will have to do for now, I'm 18 working part time and going to school, I don't have much money.
Pick up a set of 15" 10 hole wheels (since you still have 4 lugs)and mount your drag radials to them.
Id drive to the track with the DR's in the trunk and change them at the track. Actually thats what I plan on doing once I get a set. I dont like the idea of driving around with them on.

Ive got 16" wheels but Im thinking about getting a cheap set of 15's for DR's so I can have a taller sidewall.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I agree with Pro on this one, I think nittos hook pretty well. I drove a KB '96 Cobra with 4.30 gears and Nitto DRs and that thing would hook when punched in 1st gear. Nittos arent the best DR but they are the best street DR and will work fine on your car. Just so you're aware nittos can break stock axles.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:33 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

UM....all DR's are street tires......

Quick Reply: Which drag radial would you pick in my situation...