5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Which drag radial would you pick in my situation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:25 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which drag radial would you pick in my situation...

ORIGINAL: Blue Oval

ORIGINAL: PJB
Pick up a set of 15" 10 hole wheels (since you still have 4 lugs)and mount your drag radials to them.
Id drive to the track with the DR's in the trunk and change them at the track. Actually thats what I plan on doing once I get a set. I dont like the idea of driving around with them on.

Ive got 16" wheels but Im thinking about getting a cheap set of 15's for DR's so I can have a taller sidewall.
but would you keep the street tires in the trunk while you race?
No.
Id chain them to the fence at the track.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Musclecoupe

I run Nitto 555 on my 88 coupe. I get somewhere around 10 or 11k miles and probably 50 or so passes at the track. I find that you have to do a really good burnout for them to hook hard. I run a carbed 351w with a tremmec 5 speed. If I keep my launches under 3500 they hook just fine. They also out-perform any radial tire in the rain. (and I run stock axles in that car.)
Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

[sm=gears.gif]i run bfgs i love em.after reading this thread it seems they hook better than the nittos. also you can get them cheaper you say?due to shipping,it seems like a no brainer.but you run the risk of breaking an axle with any drag radial.not that you will ,just dont think it is impossible.good luck with your choice and enjoy your new shoes.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04gtstang

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

I agree with Pro on this one, I think nittos hook pretty well. I drove a KB '96 Cobra with 4.30 gears and Nitto DRs and that thing would hook when punched in 1st gear. Nittos arent the best DR but they are the best street DR and will work fine on your car. Just so you're aware nittos can break stock axles.
I think that I'm going to give the Nitto's a try. I'm going to start constantly running a drag radial in the back, I'm tired of having these little races pop up out of no where and not being able to catch traction with my all season super LOW performance 225/55/16's lol. Is the 245 going to look a little beefier than my current 225's?
I run nitto's on my 04 gt and they do there job at the track and whenever they are heated well.However, if you want to catch traction on the street with nitto's, with no burn out - good luck.
They had no problem with a '96 KB Cobra, and that thing wasn't exactly torqueless.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04gtstang

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

I agree with Pro on this one, I think nittos hook pretty well. I drove a KB '96 Cobra with 4.30 gears and Nitto DRs and that thing would hook when punched in 1st gear. Nittos arent the best DR but they are the best street DR and will work fine on your car. Just so you're aware nittos can break stock axles.
I think that I'm going to give the Nitto's a try. I'm going to start constantly running a drag radial in the back, I'm tired of having these little races pop up out of no where and not being able to catch traction with my all season super LOW performance 225/55/16's lol. Is the 245 going to look a little beefier than my current 225's?
I run nitto's on my 04 gt and they do there job at the track and whenever they are heated well.However, if you want to catch traction on the street with nitto's, with no burn out - good luck.
They had no problem with a '96 KB Cobra, and that thing wasn't exactly torqueless.
That's really good to hear. The D/R's are only one modification away. I need to order in and weld up my MM full length sub's and then I'm going to order the D/R's. This thing oughta hook like a mad man.