5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New cam, heads, and intake w/ problems

Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 PM
v8tiger

Default New cam, heads, and intake w/ problems

so i have an 88 mustang gt 5.0HO. I just installed a Ford Racing Top end package. It comes with GT40X heads, a E303 cam, cobra intake, new roller rockers, and a new timing chain.

So i got everything together and it starts up fine. But when idleing it misses real bad. I have the firing order correct for HO. All the wires are on the correct plugs. I just got a new cap rotor and plugs to .054 gap. And still no change. I have the base timing set at 10 degrees. I was told to advance it a little more, but i dont want to blow anything up. But i havnt gotten a chance yet. I was going to go to 13 or 14.

When i tried starting it again a differant day, i felt the headers. And only some were getting hot. It was like #1, 6, 7, and 8 that were hot within like 20-30 seconds.

I have not tried to drive it.

And also another problem. The passenger side bank sounds like a thump every once in a while. So i retorqued the rockers to 18lbs. And it went away, until i unplugged the spout. With the spout in, the timing is around 15-20.

Can anyone suggest anything? Is it a vacume leak? The old intake had a few more ports on the bottom than the new intake. So i might have some not hooked up right. But im pretty sure.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:01 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New cam, heads, and intake w/ problems

well this happened to me

the valves are out of adjustment, you have a moment? pm me if possible a picture of your rollers and ill let you in on some info.

keep the timing where its at, just make sure all plug wires are in the correct firing order
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM
v8tiger

i cant get a pic this moment. But they are new. And i thought that roller rockers are non adjustable?

and how do i adjust the valves.

If you could maybe IM me. on AIM at Hiykel08. Because this is really bugging me.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Your valves aren't opening correctly.

You need to set the "lash" on each cylinder with the valves shut. Rotate the engine until both valves are closed on the #1 cylinder. Then hand tighten the rocker bolt on the intake and exhaust rockers for the cylinderuntilthey just contact the socket of the rocker and the lifter (snug). Then you need to torque the bolts to specification (18-20 ft.lbs). You want to make sure that the bolt turns 1/4 to1 turn. If the bolt turns more than 1 turn before reaching the torque specification, you needto shim the pedestal. If the bolt turns less than 1/4 turn andreaches thetorque specification, you need longer pushrods.

Repeat for every cylinder.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

You need to set the "lash" on each cylinder with the valves shut. Rotate the engine until both valves are closed on the #1 cylinder. Then hand tighten the rocker bolt on the intake and exhaust rockers for the cylinderuntilthey just contact the socket of the rocker and the lifter (snug). Then you need to torque the bolts to specification (18-20 ft.lbs). You want to make sure that the bolt turns 1/4 to1 turn. If the bolt turns more than 1 turn before reaching the torque specification, you needto shim the pedestal. If the bolt turns less than 1/4 turn andreaches thetorque specification, you need longer pushrods.

man, i never would have known that...is there some kind of engine rebuilding guide that mentions all this kind of stuff? i'm going to be doing h/c/i pretty soon and its crap like this that i'm worried about screwing up.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:05 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

common on camshaft websites,

very easy to do and should not alter your plans, ill back you up[8D]
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
v8tiger

does the car need to be warmed up?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
v8tiger

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

thats what i did to install the rockers.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
v8tiger

TTT
Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode06

common on camshaft websites,

very easy to do and should not alter your plans, ill back you up[8D]

thanks man, i'll definitely need it