MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   406 stroker build up with a few questions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/251962-406-stroker-build-up-with-a-few-questions.html)

psuhillbilly150 02-28-2007 05:03 AM

406 stroker build up with a few questions

Ok here is the deal I have a 1986 351W that is getting everything torn off of it so just the block remains. Getting the block professionally cleaned and bored .030 over. Using an Eagle bottom end with 4340 chromoly crank, Eagle H beam rods with SRP -19cc dish pistons all balanced by Eagle. Top end is going to consist of Victor Jr. Heads with 210cc intake volume and 60cc combustion chamber to give me about 10.5 to 1 compression, Victor Jr intake maniforld with a 750 Holly on top of it. The engine will be mated to a T55spd trans.

The engine is being assembled by myself and a buddy of mine who has build 3 ford small blocks and 3 ford big blocks

Here is where I have some questions.
I am almost totally clueless on what cam will make good power for this setup. The car is going to be a street/strip car with it leaning more tward strip. I have been told to go solid roller for more powerbut its expensive. Does anyone have any suggestionsfor a camor have a similar setup that has worked well for you with a certian cam type or grind?

Also does anyone with a similar setup have any power numbers?

Thanks for the responces

MadMan@TheWheel 02-28-2007 10:00 AM

RE: 406 stroker build up with a few questions

So far as camshaft, I have bought cams from just about every manufacturer you can imagine. The camshaft is perhaps the best tool you can use to make everything you have done on a motor get the proper use. I think for about $300 you can go to Anderson Ford Motorsports and they will literally spec and grind a cam specifically to your needs. Custom grinds are not all that much more considering what you get. Solid rollers are the best way to go strip-wise but there are a ton of combinations for them also. My suggestion would be to A. Talk to the cam manufacturer B. Go to someone like Anderson Ford Mototrsports and tell them what you are doing. They have a ton of "off the shelf" cams that may fit your needs. And from what I have been told the support they offer is second to none.

wht90lx 02-28-2007 11:32 AM

call compcams and tell them about your setup

LTnone 02-28-2007 12:18 PM

Camshaft Innovations is another good one, or so I hear

88BlueGT 02-28-2007 12:29 PM

I hear absolutly nothing bad about Camshaft Innovations and they are really nice guys over there. Im sure price will depend on what kind of cam but I got quoted $300

2 kwik 02-28-2007 01:26 PM

not guys 1 guy an is very arrogant say the least ...dude I hope you already have the piston and ring type before you have the block bored....I wouldn't go with a solid roller as I'll bet later you'll do way more street use than drag..

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

I hear absolutly nothing bad about Camshaft Innovations and they are really nice guys over there. Im sure price will depend on what kind of cam but I got quoted $300

88BlueGT 02-28-2007 01:30 PM

I always thought there were a few over there. Guess not. I talked to Jay a few times and was pretty helpful, arrogant or not he knows his sh*t lol

fordstroker 02-28-2007 02:00 PM

Jay Allen, period. BUT be prepared to listen and learn. When you deal with someone who has ground some camshafts for nascar, you tend to listen

5IVE.OH 02-28-2007 02:48 PM

****, Jay allen told me one of his custom cams would fix my old 1975 low compression, no power 302. I told him that trying to make power N/A with 8.5:1 compression, no cam is going to help. He called me a few stupid names and got pissy because I refused to buy one of his cams.