5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

interesting motor offer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: interesting motor offer

Thanks that is a very useful pic!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:10 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordstroker

if you are not somewhat of a seasoned engine builder, meaning have built some fairly radical windsor motors, the last engine you need to be building is a cleveland. They are simply awesome, but there are plenty of ways to screw one up, easy to mismatch parts, matched parts on a cleveland are crucial.
I called it[sm=happy046.gif]
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Not quite sure what you are patting yourself on the back for, I believe I said I was not considering building this for my 5.0 mustang, and the question was, what are these worth, is 200 bucks a good deal, I have verified that they are indeed 4v closed chamber heads, looks like a smakk bellhousing c-4 as well...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

dude sorry not to get back to u earlier but if ur getting the complete cleve 4v closed chamber motor for 200 thats a god damn steal. thats like getting a 03 cobra motor for 500 dollars.
its a good deal
Old 03-02-2007, 11:14 PM
5.0liter_rice_eater
2nd Gear Member

its a great deal man. even if you just freshened it up and put it back together with a stockconfiguration it would be a kick *** engine.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:52 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Update, he called me and is dropping it off tomorrow, he was looking at the parts and this is what he found:
Complete 351 Cleveland 4V now he is not sure if open or closed chamber, edelbrock 4 barrel manifold, Holley 750 vacumn secondaries, two distributors(one points one mallroy) two coils, one set long tube headers needs paint, no holes, all accessories, pistons and rods are still there, crank is fubar, needs turned or replaced, one C-6 tranny rebuilt with torque converter, driveshaft with yoke. Only thing he has not found is the tranny dipstick, and the starter motor, all bolts labeled in bags are there, everything needs cleaned up, carb needs rebuild, all gaskets for sure as it has been sitting in his garage for years.Theres also an older steel engine stand the motor is on in good shape.I found a clean crank for it for 100, I'll have to see how it looks. Friendly machine shop is hot tanking it, and checking the integrity of the block, and seeing how the bores mike out, total 25 bucks!

Unresolved issues, he is sure it is a 69 motor, I will have to find out what the serial numbers on it tell me, we are unsure on the open/closed chamber issue now, we are not sure what generation or bell housing size the c-6 is. I found out the history abit, motor was apparantly from a fancy cougar, was pulled, totally redone, and had a couple hundred hard miles put on it and they did not do a proper break in, used synthetic from first start and spun a bearing badly which tor up the crank as he drove it home that way knocking badly. He put the motor in a 1978 thunderbird and apparantly it was quite fast even though a huge car. Wonder how one would go in a nice light foxbody...

Other suprise, he dropped the price without me asking, I'm getting it all for 150. Way I'm thinking, even if the block is junk and the heads open chamber, I can sell off the stuff and make a little money.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:00 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: irish1

Update, he called me and is dropping it off tomorrow, he was looking at the parts and this is what he found:
Complete 351 Cleveland 4V now he is not sure if open or closed chamber, edelbrock 4 barrel manifold, Holley 750 vacumn secondaries, two distributors(one points one mallroy) two coils, one set long tube headers needs paint, no holes, all accessories, pistons and rods are still there, crank is fubar, needs turned or replaced, one C-6 tranny rebuilt with torque converter, driveshaft with yoke. Only thing he has not found is the tranny dipstick, and the starter motor, all bolts labeled in bags are there, everything needs cleaned up, carb needs rebuild, all gaskets for sure as it has been sitting in his garage for years.Theres also an older steel engine stand the motor is on in good shape.I found a clean crank for it for 100, I'll have to see how it looks. Friendly machine shop is hot tanking it, and checking the integrity of the block, and seeing how the bores mike out, total 25 bucks!

Unresolved issues, he is sure it is a 69 motor, I will have to find out what the serial numbers on it tell me, we are unsure on the open/closed chamber issue now, we are not sure what generation or bell housing size the c-6 is. I found out the history abit, motor was apparantly from a fancy cougar, was pulled, totally redone, and had a couple hundred hard miles put on it and they did not do a proper break in, used synthetic from first start and spun a bearing badly which tor up the crank as he drove it home that way knocking badly. He put the motor in a 1978 thunderbird and apparantly it was quite fast even though a huge car. Wonder how one would go in a nice light foxbody...

Other suprise, he dropped the price without me asking, I'm getting it all for 150. Way I'm thinking, even if the block is junk and the heads open chamber, I can sell off the stuff and make a little money.
The only way it is a 69 cleveland is if it was substituted in the last 1-2 weeks before 1970, virtually every single 351 from 1969 was a windsor. There were very rare exceptions and that was if ford ran out of windsors at the end of 1969, this is especially true with the 351 mustangs. Open chamber heads dont bring much money nowadays, the block if sonic checked and has enough left on the thrust side brings decent money. A canadian friend runs a 357 inch cleveland in his fox, a 3500 dollar cleveland build and it goes 10.90's 3100lbs with a stick.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:37 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Even if its a windsor......... $150 for an engine and trans even if broke is a steal.

no worries..........
Old 03-03-2007, 02:38 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: irish1

Not quite sure what you are patting yourself on the back for, I believe I said I was not considering building this for my 5.0 mustang, and the question was, what are these worth, is 200 bucks a good deal, I have verified that they are indeed 4v closed chamber heads, looks like a smakk bellhousing c-4 as well...
ORIGINAL: LTnone
fordstroker is probably gonna pipe up here...
That
Old 03-03-2007, 02:48 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood, I will take pictures tomorrow assuming I get it all apart and post them(assuming I figure out how to do that too!). Should be fun, playing with new toys is always a blast.
I've been doing abit of reading on Clevelands, seems it is easy to build them so that they either tear up quick because of oiling problems, or are absolute dogs unless you rev the snot out of them, I'm assuming cam/lifter choice is crucial. Was told a well built Cleveland with a smart cam and good head setup, with good exhaust/carb will approach 500 horsepower fairly easily. If true thats a ****load of power ontap.

Quick Reply: interesting motor offer