5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP NEEDED!!! wanting info on putting carburated 302 in thunderbird turbo cpe

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 PM
ReDLiNeZL

Default HELP NEEDED!!! wanting info on putting carburated 302 in thunderbird turbo cpe

what i have now is an '87 thunderbird turbo coupe that is blown up and i have a stock carburated 302 out of a stang that i would like to drop in. i need to still buy a intake and carb for it, but i also wanted to upgrade cam, butim clueless on what to put in, im told to put an e303 cam but not sure what move to make there either. do i need different motor mounts, how hard is this to wire up.... like i said im clueless on what i must do here.

can anyone help me in the right direction? thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP NEEDED!!! wanting info on putting carburated 302 in thunderbird turbo cpe

umm Ill trade you a 82 GT that is already carbed and running for it! lol I want one of those turbocoupe thunderbirds so bad because I have a perfect motor waiting to go in one but havnt found a good one yet. It shouldnt be thaat hard to do
http://www.jason.fletcher.net/

That site has alot of your answers to do it on a mustang which is basically the same thing in a sense but you should put a turbo 4 back in it
Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
ReDLiNeZL

Default RE: HELP NEEDED!!! wanting info on putting carburated 302 in thunderbird turbo cpe

seriously trade? i can give you pics, i have a 2nd short block which is ripped apart let me know.. where u from?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

lol my car needs bodywork and needs a floorboard on the drivers side that I have yet still to put in but I have it and it needs the sway bar welded back in the frame lol whats wrong with your car? Im from aboot 300 ish miles away ish in stroudsburg

Old 03-01-2007, 08:51 PM
ReDLiNeZL

send me pictures and ill upload some of the bird..... it ran fine oil pan gasket leaked, and then i ran it dry, forgot to check.... and i think a bearing went..... currently its automatic but the other short block came with a clutch, pressure plate and bell housing..... just missing the trans itself
Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

Im the carb master.... any Q's just ask. I like Holley type carbs over the Edlebrock design, but I have set up several Edlebrock as well. I use Barry Grant carbs. they are the same design as Holley but cost a bit less.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:45 PM
ReDLiNeZL

good deal, yea that looks like a very clean install
Old 03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Have fun. Turbo Coupes are very complex when it comes to wiring and the computers. You have a lot more to worry about when putting a carb in it.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 PM
boof1027
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TBird232ci

Have fun. Turbo Coupes are very complex when it comes to wiring and the computers. You have a lot more to worry about when putting a carb in it.
Carbs don't have wires! He will need to change the pick up in his gas tank or get a pressure regulator for the fuel pressure. Change the dizzy, I went with a points style from a 71 model 302 and used crane cams points convertor so it is an electronic ignition. So besides wiring up his sending units to the new motor what wires is it he will be fighting with? He will ditch all the smog and emissions controls if he is going to carbs.
Matt
Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boof1027

ORIGINAL: TBird232ci

He will ditch all the smog and emissions controls if he is going to carbs.
Matt
Ahh yes...... I prolly shuda mentioned that... My 83 is 25yrs old and CT exempts cars 25yrs and older from emissions but if you wanna pass it it may take some rigging

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED!!! wanting info on putting carburated 302 in thunderbird turbo cpe