5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

trick flow heads on an 86

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

Default trick flow heads on an 86

well just what it says is anyone on here running them. due to new emissions lawshere in the good ole state of pennsylvania, my previous engine build has to be halted, and now i think i have come up with a good idea for once.
my new plan is to use the stock block and internals since they're forged, and put on some twisted wedge heads and a kb s/c. now i was wondering what i will need the heads are gonna be ported, and hte s/c is not until a little while away. until then i will jsut have the stock bottom end and cam, and go with 24 lb injectors and what intake would u all recommend?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: trick flow heads on an 86

anyone with any help?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

I think you might have to notch the pistons on an '86 for the Trickflows.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:46 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

actually this i kno not to be true, tahts why im using them otherwise i would go with afr. the twisted wedge heads fit on the stock 86 flat top pistons.
oh and do u guys think i may be able to squeeze a b cam in that thing?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:55 PM
I8urLS1
1st Gear Member

dude i don't want to throw another wrench in things for you but an 86 302 didn't have one forged piece of steel in it, cast crank, cast rods, hyper. pistons. which doesn't mean **** as far as i'm concerned. i'd still put a blower on it. as for the heads they will fit unless i'm wrong about the pistons in an 86 not having valve reliefs ( which i def could be) (take the heads off and check- valve reliefs= will fit) but i think if you are going to supercharge that motor, you should match, or if not match at least help those heads flow the air into the cumbustion chamber by getting a nice cam, or a cheap one actually as long as its got a bigger lift and longer duration that's better than that stock piece of crap. while you're at it grab a cobra intake manifold or something cheap like that, anything is better than choking it with the stock ****. nice thing about these foxes is everything is cheap. good luck
p.s. save yourself some more money and don't buy the biggest baddest blower on the market. most little ones such as the paxton novi 1000 will spin to 9psi and that's plenty for a stock blockwith a H/C/I package. use 36lb injectors, don't forget a fuel pump 190lph should do it
Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

alright then, i will just get a 87-92 block and f*ck the one i got. i want a kb b/c i just do. this is one thing i dont need an explanation for. the cam now that it has to be emissions legal will probably be a b303 cam or trick flow 1 cam or anythin that will pull hard through the rpms and make decent power. now just one question, with a kb blower will i neeed to keep the lower intake or what?

i kno nothing on s/c's and hope to gain some knowledge.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Actually it has forged pistons. 83-92 ho motors all had forged pistons.

ORIGINAL: I8urLS1

dude i don't want to throw another wrench in things for you but an 86 302 didn't have one forged piece of steel in it, cast crank, cast rods, hyper. pistons. which doesn't mean **** as far as i'm concerned. i'd still put a blower on it. as for the heads they will fit unless i'm wrong about the pistons in an 86 not having valve reliefs ( which i def could be) (take the heads off and check- valve reliefs= will fit) but i think if you are going to supercharge that motor, you should match, or if not match at least help those heads flow the air into the cumbustion chamber by getting a nice cam, or a cheap one actually as long as its got a bigger lift and longer duration that's better than that stock piece of crap. while you're at it grab a cobra intake manifold or something cheap like that, anything is better than choking it with the stock ****. nice thing about these foxes is everything is cheap. good luck
p.s. save yourself some more money and don't buy the biggest baddest blower on the market. most little ones such as the paxton novi 1000 will spin to 9psi and that's plenty for a stock blockwith a H/C/I package. use 36lb injectors, don't forget a fuel pump 190lph should do it
Old 03-02-2007, 12:22 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

ok so does anyone here live in pa, and kno about this upcoming law they are trying to pass
Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

I just put trickflow heads on bowl ported and a street heat intake with 1.7 rockers and I noticed a huge difference in the higher rpm range. I haven't been able to launchit because it's been raining. Idontyet knowhow much of a difference it made down low.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:32 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

what else u got done to the car stangman

Quick Reply: trick flow heads on an 86