5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

12's

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 12's

ORIGINAL: 15austin

+1 on all of this Removing the front swaybar is an automatic tenth. Take the rest ofyour $1500 and start buying bolt ons. Without going the nitrous route it will be hard to get low 13s with just $1500,coming from a stock mustang.

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

how much do you want to spend? you can easily spend thousands just on the suspension

new upper and lower control arms and some good shocks to start in the rear.
subframe connectors for better weight transfer
new struts for the front. remove the front sway bar
Correct me if I am wrong, but the only advantage of removing your front sway bar is reducing weight. I'm pretty sure that the sway bar doesn't weigh anywhere near 100 lbs, how do you expect todrop a 1/10th secondfrom just removing it?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:21 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

he wants to get in teh 12's well removing weight helps to . He could also relocate his battery to his trunk
Old 03-04-2007, 11:28 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PONY GUY

he wants to get in teh 12's well removing weight helps to . He could also relocate his battery to his trunk
I am fully aware thatreducing weightcan reduce your 1/4 mile times. But what I was referring to is that he said that byremoving your sway bar, you can drop a tenth. The only way that I could see that happening is if the sway bar weighed around 100 lbs (which I'm sure that it doesn't).
Old 03-04-2007, 11:30 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only advantage of removing your front sway bar is reducing weight. I'm pretty sure that the sway bar doesn't weigh anywhere near 100 lbs, how do you expect todrop a 1/10th secondfrom just removing it?
It also helps free up the front end movement and allows for better weight transfer. This is a factor in seeing these cars pull the front driver's wheel higher than the passenger side.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

It also helps free up the front end movement and allows for better weight transfer. This is a factor in seeing these cars pull the front driver's wheel higher than the passenger side.
Thanks for the info FullAuto. Is it really worth a 1/10th though?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't give it quite that much credit. I guess it would just depend on the car.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:12 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't give it quite that much credit. I guess it would just depend on the car.
Do you think that I would really benefit anything from it? Iusemy foxmainly fordrag racingon the street and strip, sometimes I'll drive it to work and school.