5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My 89 LX

Old 03-04-2007, 05:33 AM
2744mustangdriver

Default My 89 LX

Haven't been around since last summer when the unthinkable happened and I drove into the side of a pick-up that ran though a stop sign.
Due to the dual facts that it was an 89 (though low mileage and stored every winter) and I carried no collision I thought that the car's days were through; however, to my surprise and happiness, the insurance company paid the full bill which wasn't cheap and I was able to get it fixed.
The insurance adjuster came and looked at the car and felt it was too good just to send to the crusher's and agreed to foot the entire bill.
The body shop that did the job (specializing in BMW's and Mercedes etc.) was excruciatingly slow taking over three months to complete the job but very thorough--straightening and redoing everything including details under the hood so the car looks perfect; it had needed a repaint and now it has one at least at the front half and the shop even matched the paint perfectly.
Got it back and immediately put it in winter storage; this spring I plan to continue my schedule of doing something to the car each year (since I bought it in 1997) by converting to five lug all wheel disc wheels and brakes.
Now that I have a scanner will take some pictures and post after it bring out in May. Maybe I'll get some new ideas as to what I can do next. It's not driven much (500 kilometres/year or so) but it is wonderful therapy and a toy.
G.S. Day
Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Default RE: My 89 LX

That sucks man.
I hope it comes out good for ya
Old 04-28-2007, 03:32 AM
2744mustangdriver

Default RE: My 89 LX

Maybe I am missing something but this is the only way I could find to get into this forum--no post a new message section.
Summer is approaching and as I said in my last posting, I plan to convert to four wheel disc and five lug wheels on my '89 Mustang LX. Any thoughts on this? That is are there any advantages or is this type of change merely cosmetic? Any idea of how long this step takes or should take? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Oh, yes. Up here in Canada picking up used axles from Broncos etc. is a no go due to lack of supply and prohibitive costs (i.e. one cannot buy just the axle but must take the entire rear end or whatever) so am going the new-parts-entirely route and also keeping the 15" tire size so I can reuse the original tires which are almost new anyway. Cost will be great enough as it is.
2744mustangdriver

Search this Thread