5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Just bought a fox body.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 AM
boooost88

Default Just bought a fox body.

Hello everybody,
I was previously a member on here as 04orangeKB or something like that. I had 420hp/420tq RWHP and as my name says it was orange and had a kenne bell on it. Sold my stang over a year ago just got the itch and picked this up on ebay I copied the listing in from ebay. Please read it and give me any/all suggestions. I am limited in my fox body knowledge and just so you guys know I am planning on spending about 5k on her right away. I was hoping to turn her streetable with new interior and off carb onto FI with hopefully a beefed up shortblock to handle the max boost. Thanks in advance.

SS Mustang (super sleeper...lol)
Up for bids is an 87 ford mustang. I bought this car on ebay a while ago, it had alot of issues. Basically the only part I have not had apart on the car is the short block. I'm not gonna go through all the stuff I fixed , but I'll hit on the major stuff. I just installed a fresh set of E7 heads. The heads where cut .011 to true them up andhad a 3 angle valve job done.They areequiped with newcomp cams hyd. rollersprings, retainers and locks. I used a set of FMS graphite head gaskets and a set of ARP head studs to reassemble. The trans I just had a mainshaft put in, all new blocker rings, shift fork pads and a third gear slider. It shifts AWESOME, no grinds!The trans is out of a 90 mustang, for ppl that know that was the strongest of the stock ones ford made (with exception to cobra).
Here's the list of all the good stuff:
Low mile 302 short block (looks like new inside)
Fresh E7 heads w/comp springs
Custom hyd roller turbo cam and double roller chain
Old school twisted torker intake
New Billet HEI distibutor
Line locks
Big holley carb with blow through mods (works awesome)
Mallory boost referenced regulator
12 gal fuel cell (nice install, see pics)
Paxton 180GPH billet fuel pump
8an pressure and return fuel lines
Rebuilt HX40 Holset turbo mild stainless piping with all V-band connections
Turbonetics evolution38mm wastegate
New 50mm polished BOV
Fresh WC T-5 w/hurst shifter
Centerforce dual friction clutch,FMS flywheel
Driveshaft saftey loop, sub-frame connectors
Battle boxes
Boxed upper control arms, tubular lowers
Comp Engineering anit-rool bar kitw/chrome molly torsion tube
8.8 rear, good posi, FMS3:55 gears
Auto-meter Boost and Feul pressure gauges
This car is really quick, a blast to drive. The boost comes on at low rpm's...around 2500.Itlooks allstock, and its not reallyloud. It has suprised many of my friends when they ride in it.The fuel cell, pump and lines can not be seen looking at the rear of the car, its tucked up close to the car.... very low key. The car is not steet legal and would need a few things to be. The exhaust exits the passenger sidefront fender, it sounds really cool! You can see the exhaust in the pic I have of the pass front fender, look down low ( hidden most ppl dont even notice where it is). The no power steering kinda sucks, and heater box was REMOVED!Other than that, all the lights, wipers, horn ect.... work. Everything that was put on the car is new. It has never been inspected or tagged. I drive it around my house sometimes and that's about it.
If you live within 50 mi or so of me I would trust the car to be driven that far, you would need a spare gas can for sure though. Any farther than that I don't know that I would drive it. The tires are junk for one thing and the lack of a heaer is a bummer too.
I believe the car is streetable, though it would need tuned a bit and some tires that were not completly bald...lol.It goes down the road good, and it always starts right up.The cars seems to use tons of fuel!It runs really rich, but the motor seems to suck it up when the boost comes on, so I let it that way.I have been around turbos long enough I know itscertainlybetter to be rich than lean! The cardoes puff some smoke when you let out of it after being run hard. 90% of that you can smell is raw gas, it has 91 jets in the rear of the carb!I have only run it on a very mild tune. Its very rich, only 25 degreesof timming totaland 8lbs of boost. Current set-up would easily take 15-18lb.
I just put all new fluids in the car when I put it together, antifrezze, oil change, trans fluid and gear oil in the rear with posi additive. I am a automotive tech by trade so I have had the car on my lift several times. Its in good shape mechanicly. Brakes in the rear are new, front pads and rotors are not very old, ball joints, tie rods, struts all good and tight. No rust uder the car
Old 03-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just bought a fox body.

pics?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:34 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i saw that ad. the car looked a little rough but that guy did put a lot of money into it to fix the problems the car had
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 AM
boooost88

The pics are on the ebay link.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 AM
boooost88

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/81/c8/04d7_1.JPG
Old 03-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Your going to molest his blowthrough and go FI?[:'(] Get another car if you want an FIed turbo. IMO.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
boooost88

Why do you say that?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:30 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

keep the blow thru carb.

you will just loose hp switching to FI.

try a late model interior swap. 03-04 interiors, dash and everything
will fit in a Fox with some trimming and work.
Looks soooo cool.

15psi on that motor will put you in high 400's rwhp if not 500ish
stock block only good for about 450rwhp though so careful......................

the heater core was removed cuase they leak all the time
and are srious pain in the *** to replace.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Get rid of those darn E7's. They're holding you back more than anything
Old 03-05-2007, 03:34 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

How are the accesory belts ran? What turns the water pump? It is hard to tell, but in the pics it looks like a belt goes from teh crank to alternator, and then another belt around the water pump and whatever that other thing is. But i agree put some better heads on it and it will be a beast

Quick Reply: Just bought a fox body.