5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Bill's 1993 Fox

Exclamation New clutch issues

I recently had a performance clutch kit put in, full pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing and new flywheel oh and the auto-adjustable clutch cable about 3 weeks ago. Apparently we couldn't get it to catch and my mechanic said it was a bad pressure plate. I don't know a whole lot, so i sent it back to JEgs and they reimbursed me and now I had to go with a lower model supposedly the ford performance one. (all new parts again)

It has been running pretty well. I notice right off that coming to a stop or down shifting into 2nd and 1st i would need to keep the RPS up a little to stop the chatter feeling a little. I read this was somewhat normal.

Its been about 300 miles and i am now noticing my clutch doesn't feel right, it feels springy feeling (and noisy) and i am getting a noise outside i can hear. When i push the clutch in a little, it seems to stop for the most part.

Now just on my way home, going into fourth grinded a little. I am super nervous as my mechanic which i thought was a friend, charged me both times to take a part and replace. HE said he has done a bunch of them and now its starting to make me nervous and i don't want to go back to him. But a $1000 later, I don't know what to do.

So any thoughts on the noise and clutch? the throw out bearing is brand new. the clutch is brand new.

I can get the rpm's up and hear noise in neutral!

Do you think it may have stretched a little and needs to be adjusted is all?

The noise is pretty loud, sounds like metal rattling outside, well something like that.

Please let me know all your thoughts on this. It would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be putting it on a lift tonight. I hope to not have to rip the whole thing a part again.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM
oREDNECKo

You need a new bearing retainer for trans its 28$ when they did your clutch they probably did not put lube on it and it will make your throw out bearing go bad get the for racing throw out I had it for a year with no problems make sure they put good lube on it or it will just go bad again and it should not cost you since he ****ed it up twice and dose not know what he doing and make sure you dont have a t5 for a 4cly if your from ga I could help you out
Old 09-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Bill's 1993 Fox

Buddy of mine and myself put it on a lift last night. The plate that has the clutch cable is bent up ad rapping against the metal.

The bearig must have gotten bad or something because its not level anymore.

We put a thick piece of rubber on the top of the metal piece that holds the cable and it got rid of the noise and vibration. It worked but not driving it again until I get a new bearing.

It was pointed up against the metal so bad I couldn't even put the cable cover on.

Thanks for your input