5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

average cost of an engine rebuild

Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 AM
engineman

Thumbs up quality/reliable shyt!

Originally Posted by mjr46
people wanting a quality/reliable build don't buy pro comp chinese shyt!
For the $$$ money, you can't get a better quality/reliable shyt! than the low lee pro comp thick deck aluminum designed right here, in the good old U S of A, and to keep cost down, made and molded to pro comp specs in China. Same thing, your Weiand intake manifold's the blue prints to the new designed are blue printed here, then to keep cost down, they send the design and equipment to mold the manifolds to Weiand's specs, to China for final assembly. You would be surprised at how much Ford and GM, and Chrysler depend on china's labor and cost to make parts for all our cars and truck's. So....there is a whole lot of unreliable shyt! out there, that we buy and not even know about. Fords 5.0 liter engine was made in Mexico in our cars and trucks from early to mid 70's in our cars and trucks. My 1976 F-100 has a made in Mexico 302 engine in it also, a much stronger engine than was known at the time till they tore one down and found thicker and stronger main webbing and thicker main caps. Thicker cylinder walls can be bored out safely to 0.80 over and with a sonic check some can and do go out to .100 over bore's. And still not be to thin. So think about what you are saying and get the facts straight before bashing the pro com[/; cylinder heads.icon_twocents::
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

my experience and knowledge of the pro comps is that the seats occasionally fall out, the stock rocker studs break easily and a set of afr 195's will outflow the pro comp 210's by a mile.

i don't use weiand intakes or the chinese hurricane ones
Old 04-05-2014, 04:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by engineman
For the $$$ money, you can't get a better quality/reliable shyt! than the low lee pro comp thick deck aluminum designed right here, in the good old U S of A, and to keep cost down, made and molded to pro comp specs in China. Same thing, your Weiand intake manifold's the blue prints to the new designed are blue printed here, then to keep cost down, they send the design and equipment to mold the manifolds to Weiand's specs, to China for final assembly. You would be surprised at how much Ford and GM, and Chrysler depend on china's labor and cost to make parts for all our cars and truck's. So....there is a whole lot of unreliable shyt! out there, that we buy and not even know about. Fords 5.0 liter engine was made in Mexico in our cars and trucks from early to mid 70's in our cars and trucks. My 1976 F-100 has a made in Mexico 302 engine in it also, a much stronger engine than was known at the time till they tore one down and found thicker and stronger main webbing and thicker main caps. Thicker cylinder walls can be bored out safely to 0.80 over and with a sonic check some can and do go out to .100 over bore's. And still not be to thin. So think about what you are saying and get the facts straight before bashing the pro com[/; cylinder heads.icon_twocents::
I have my fact straight ....pro comp is junk from day 1 anyway you look at it....all the way down to the crap valvetrain components used in them to the valve placement being off from **** poor machining from trying to copy a mold....you'd better do your research on them......not me, It's well documented all over the net the issues with such as well as my own personal experience with them. I use quality components on all builds I do for myself or for others. You can tell yourself all you want procomp is good cheap stuff......but cheap and good don't belong in the same sentence. And as far as the mexican block goes...were talking cylinder heads not blocks.

Last edited by mjr46; 04-05-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by barnett468
my experience and knowledge of the pro comps is that the seats occasionally fall out, the stock rocker studs break easily and a set of afr 195's will outflow the pro comp 210's by a mile.

i don't use weiand intakes or the chinese hurricane ones
^^^^^^exactly.....this man knows, you got it right barnett!!!!.........you can put china junk on my daily driver all day long and I could care less.......but not on my race car/toys
Old 04-05-2014, 06:57 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

cheap and good don't belong in the same sentence.
Well, I actually did have a "cheap" date one night that was pretty good.

And as far as the mexican block goes...were talking cylinder heads not blocks.
Also the Mexican blocks were made by Ford even though their plant is in Mexico. Mexico also produces great salsa, great women and great tequila.

I don't know of any great Tequila in China.

As you can see in the two links below, the Chinese made rocket parts don't fare too well either.

"The accident occurred during the first seconds of the launch...At the crash site of Proton-M, a 200-meter crater was formed."

That's the length of 2 1/4 football fields, I think that's kinda funny!

http://english.pravda.ru/science/tec...m_explosion-0/

http://www.spacenews.com/article/lau...h-rocket-fails

Last edited by barnett468; 04-05-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 PM
engineman

That's funny, cause I have never had a bit of trouble with the pro comp heads or any product of the pro comp stuff. I think maybe you are getting the pro comp knock offs that are out there. They go for less money than the real pro comp cylinder heads go for. I seldom use factory valve seats on any aluminum heads. Why, because they leak air back up into the valve guide. Not good for Teflon seals as the leak causes the valve seals to come off the machined valve guides causing oil to pull through the combustion chamber killing compression. That has and does happen on Edelbrock al. heads, On aluminum head seats may show no signs of air leaking through the seats until you fire up the motor and allow it to come to 180 to 200 degree temperatures. Then do a compression check and every cylinder will show low psi. Aluminum expanse quicker than iron seats do, That is why aluminum heads will almost always use more oil than iron heads do. That is why you can never go out and buy regular valve seats for al. heads You can get a pretty good pro comp head if it's CNC computer ported. And they go one step further than almost all the made in the USA. head makers do. That is wet flowing the same set of heads that has been CNC ported. Same with the Weiand street warrior #8124 ___---except there intakes come from the foundry already wet flowed and CNC ported, There line of intake manifolds are made for todays better heads and cams designed for stroked engines 331ci to 347ci to 365ci motors. I have never broke a stud off any street motor. So but I've learned that playing with real high lift hydraulic flat tappet or solid flat tappet cams and all roller cams rpm and so fourth. I purchase ARP 7/16ths" rocker studs. Just for good measure. I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest with anyone here. I'm almost 60 and I still love building small block Fords & SBC engines for local circle track racers. We build three Chevy 357ci motors to one small block Ford circle track motors. Late model and super late model engine builds. Plus street stock engines street modified also super street stock engines. Inside my shop we have a sign made up that says "If you are in a hurry then go some where else. If you stay and chat with everyone working that will cost you $25.00 an hour added to your engine build

Last edited by engineman; 04-05-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: corections, spelling and other typical errows
Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

That's funny, cause I have never had a bit of trouble with the pro comp heads or any product of the pro comp stuff. I think maybe you are getting the pro comp knock offs that are out there.
Nope i was a pro comp dealer and bought the stuff direct from pro comp electronics in so cal.

I seldom use factory valve seats on any aluminum heads. Why, because they leak air back up into the valve guide. Not good for Teflon seals as the leak causes the valve seals to come off the machined valve guides causing oil to pull through the combustion chamber killing compression. That has and does happen on Edelbrock al. heads, On aluminum head seats may show no signs of air leaking through the seats until you fire up the motor and allow it to come to 180 to 200 degree temperatures.
There has to be an irregularity in the seating surfaces then. if there is not and a seat becomes so loose it allows air to leak underneath it then it would fall out.

Also if has enough pressure to blow off a pc seal then it would be easy to hear with a rubber hose to ones ear while its running.

i actually ran the cyl head dept for a very high end shop and have probably installed over 1,000 seats and done cast iron screw type crack repair etc. and have never heard of this prob.

the price is obviously attractive and they can be bought bare and totally reworked to be decent and RELIABLE but that costs money.

i'm not saying the seats fall out of all of them but it happens and the studs will break because they are cheap chinese metal. i have seen them break on low lift, low spring pressure cams.

take one pro comp stud and an arp one and put them both in a vise and whack each one with a hammer and see which one breaks.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-05-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM
engineman

I wish you all the best in what ever you choose in life, just keep giving all the street and strip racing we crave. A little over $6000.00 dollars for a retro fit late model all aluminum, double over head cams all aluminum four valves per cylinder engine and computer to go with it. 420 plus HP and a 2 year warranty from Ford racing crate engines. Long live the push rod motors of yesteryear, Those old motors had to have a very good set of 2 valve per cylinder to run a good number. With this 2 v heads know how and now four valve with two valve knowledge "assume heads". For my 1976 F-100 pickup trick..

Last edited by engineman; 04-06-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: checking for errows and miss spelled words