MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Oil Consumption! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/255225-oil-consumption.html)

LCBlackDep183 03-07-2007 12:01 AM

Oil Consumption!

Okay im just trying to figure this out guys... For some ****ing reason my car seems to be consuming more oil than it should... Now the light will come on 1-2 times inbetween oil changes and I will have to add a quart of oil or so...

I JUST changed my oil on tues, drove about 300 miles and the "Low Oil" Light came on again tonight... Wtf? Its not burning any oil, and I dont see any leaking anywhere... Infact my engine bay is probably one of the cleanest ive seen in a long time, what the hell guys?

fordguy17 03-07-2007 12:04 AM

RE: Oil Consumption!

mine does the same thing.

i never see mine burn oil, but i figure it does it under hard acceleration or deceleration or something.

i guess i don't see it b/c i run dumps...

mcfomco 03-07-2007 12:05 AM

If its not leaking out Its gotta be burning it. The light comes on when it gets about 1 1/2 qts low I am thinking. If I had to guess you got some bad valve stem seals or guides. Maybe a little blow by as well.

LCBlackDep183 03-07-2007 12:08 AM

I just changed my throttle body the other day and didnt see any oil in the intake, theres a good amount of carbon though... I wasnt even driving hard over the last week or so...

mcfomco 03-07-2007 12:16 AM

Your not gonna see oil in the intake if its burning it through the head. Leaking stem seal or guides will not show oil in the intake nor will blow by. Try pulling the plugs out and see what they look like.

93 LX FiveO 03-07-2007 12:21 AM

dont go by that stupid light

if it comes on, check the dipstick. if it aint readin nothin on the dipstick u got a problem.

for a LONG time my car was seeping oil out of the sending unit above the filters. oil would land on my filter and i figured bad filter gasket. used prob 5 different filters same deal. one day finaly the damn sending unit broke and oil came shooting out. i drove down the highway like this and when i got home there was no lights on. infact didnt even know at this point. i come out the next day, turn the car on and the low oil light is on. im like wtf and look under the car and see a big puddle. i look down my street and see an oil line going right to my car lol..

$3 fix

fordguy17 03-07-2007 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: mcfomco

Your not gonna see oil in the intake if its burning it through the head. Leaking stem seal or guides will not show oil in the intake nor will blow by. Try pulling the plugs out and see what they look like.
mine actually have some oil deposits on them...and they are only a few thousand miles old.[&o]

LCBlackDep183 03-07-2007 12:38 AM

what would oil deposits look like, and maybe that sending unit i just replaced came loose :/

LOC THREAD TIME!

silver91gt 03-07-2007 12:55 AM

my low oil light doesnt come on untill theres around 1 quart left in the pan

VigCS 03-07-2007 01:12 AM

Mine comes on when I'm one quart low, which is about ever 3,000 miles. I use my light to tell me when its time for an oil change:).