5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Serouis help only

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:21 PM
DaveAllred
2nd Gear Member

Default Serouis help only

Well, after a year or so of pondering my ideas and what I wanted to do with the stang I have always had a basic picture painted. But now it is time to get started. I am working with minimal money but I do not want that to affect the outcome. But at the same time lets not get ridiculous. I want to slowly but surely get this done, as more money flows in more stuff will get done. We all hear the expression super car, I don’t know how many of you take it but I take it as One of a kind, a car that looks unique, clean, well thought out, but at the same time a car that you just cant touch when it comes to power. I’m pretty set in on what I want to do visually and I got an idea of what I want to do for power.

Before I begin to share with you what I want to do I first must say

This forum is not about do you think I can do this, or how would you do it. This is about one mustang owner asking others for help.
The things I will need to know are parts, the details what I will need, what is the best choice: building your own or buying an assembled engine.

Before I Get ahead of myself I probably should let you know my overall picture.

I want to rip out motor, tranny, driveshaft, rearend, it all front to rear.
Then from there I want to either build a motor or buy a assembled one, preferably building one unless it isn’t cost effective. I would definitely like the experience but could be something I could wait for as well.
Now I can’t let my self settle for nething that is going to hurt performance or drivability later. I will be producing as much boost as possible 16-20 Psi.(TURBO(s) and nothing but) So I will need the lower and upper end to handle it.
Here is where my trouble is, I know all or most of the parts I will need but the details, cam specs, compressions, valves, heads, intakes, all that good stuff. That is where I need the Knowledge of you.
Does ne-one know what the good turbo systems are, twin or single, help me out guys.
Eventually heres what I want.

Built Motor able to withstand a good about of boost and power
A tranny able to back it up, I was thinking the 6 speed outta the cobra r, but open to thoughts
New drvieshaft what kind, where can I get it
Then the Rearend to back it all up
Computer, ignition, fuel system, injectors everything I will need to make this happen.

Also I am going to need to put this to the ground, not just the wheels if you know what I mean. Once I get into the bulk of this I won’t be driving the car so what are my going to need to do for traction and such. Maybe even fitting some 325 tires on the rear. The sky is the limit and time is all that it will take along with some cash. I have no time limit set just that I’ve spent long enough obsessing about this to finally kick it into gear. I guess in case you don’t know the car is a 1994 Mustang GT 130K miles, car is a 5spd right now, with the 5 liter. All stock except lowering springs.
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Don’t waste your time critizing what I want to do if it isn’t positive. Because your simply doing yourself no good. I would like this to stay as serious as possible because I may be going on the majority of what you guys say. Kinda a car by the people for the people but only by the people for me, HA once again thank you very much. Ne questions feel free to PM me or email at allred94gt@aim.com
Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
DaveAllred
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Serouis help only

thanks for the pm help
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
DaveAllred
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

wow where to even start. its seriously going to cost ALOT OF MONEY.

ok. man o war block stock block definately won't hold it and since ur getting an aftermarket block why not get a 351 man o war block.

your goin to have to put internals and in and have the block cleaned up at a machine shop so why not stroke it i suggest a 427. i would go with dished pistions AFR 205 or 225's custom cam holley stystamax intake, or trickflow at least r series. 1 3/4 headers then whatever you want going out the rear (not including suppoting mods)

turbo is going to be real expensive at least 5g's from what i have seen and prolly at least a 66mm or a 76mm. (single)

i wouldn't try to put more than a 315 on the back and would go with MT ET Street tire.

suspension that just depends on how much money you will want to spend

IF YOU ACTUALLY do it your looking at a SH*T load of money and at least like a 800rwphp car that you would definately have to install a nice cage in and probably capable of 9's with traction
Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Ok, here's what I would suggest. It sounds like you are leaning toward building a bad *** track going race car that won't be driven on the street. For the turbo system, I would very seriously recommend looking at the hellion twin turbo system. This is a company that John Urist has put a lot of time into and I've talked to him in person about these systems. they are designed to have all the guess work done for you from the get go, and be a complete somewhat easy to install system that will give you crazy power. These kits can produce as much boost as you're wanting, and up to 1000+ horsepower. I would save the cam for about the last thing you do to the motor, and I would actually talk to hellion or anderson ford motorsports about custom grinding a cam for you once you have the rest of the combo built. For the heads/pistons you should really try to keep the compression near stock. I would say anything from an 8.5:1 - 9.5:1 should leave you in good shape assuming you are usinga stronger aftermarket block with 4 bolt mains. For the heads I would highly recommend going with a set of highly ported Trickflow Track heat heads, or a set of AFR 225s with some porting. These heads are both lightweight aluminun and make monster power. For the valves, probably a 2.08 intake/1.72 exhaust would do you about right. Most people just go with the standard 2.02/1.60 valves, but for your combo you can go even bigger. For the intake, I would probably go with a customsheetmetal intake. There are lots of companies out there that make these, so it's not going to cost you as much as it would have 15 years ago. Shoot me a PM if you need help on anything else. I will do my best to help you out any time.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

they don't make hellion kits for 94-95 cars
Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 PM
DaveAllred
2nd Gear Member

thank you, where can i find these blocks and what are we lookin at for just the engine build portion money wise. Also someone suggested to me to start with a turbokit on the stock motor and then move up from there, this would suit me fine because i would have something to play with meanwhile but is this a smart thing to do...let me know...and these turbo kits claim 450-600 horse on stock motor, is this legit stock motor, rear end and tranny i am assuming, let me know and once again thank you in advance
Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

my bad on the turbo kit, I know they have been developing a kit for 94-95. I thought I heard they were done on those. I just checked out their site, and on the right hand side it lists all the years. 94-95 gt still shows research and development. you might try contacting them to see if they have any news or a time frame coming up.

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/
Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

I just sent the following email to john urist. I'll let you know what he says.

I know I've heard for quite some time that you guys are working on a turbo kit for the 94-95 cars. On your site it still shows as R&D... So what kind of news can you give me as for your plans on these? Will there be both single and twin systems available? John I've got to say you are a mad man and I can't wait to see you in action this spring. Keep up the good work and show me some 7.30s this year!!! I know you've got it. Let me know if you're coming through tulsa/okc/dallas. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i wouldn't put that kinda money into a stock block that going to shatter into a million pieces