5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hmmm upgrade to 5.0 thunderbird with automatic overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:32 PM
terramir

Default hmmm upgrade to 5.0 thunderbird with automatic overdrive

Hi guys I was thinking about turning my 86 lx into a gt with automatic overdrive, but the following problems
#1 I would need a thunderbird computer in order to make it work
#2 manual transmission is out of the question because I dun know how
#3 it's an instant 50 hp loss with the thunderbird computer something about different mixtures anybody know hopw to fix this?
please give me some hints.
terramir
Old 11-03-2004, 08:41 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: hmmm upgrade to 5.0 thunderbird with automatic overdrive

why would you do that?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

what are you smoking dude. is your car a auto already? and the tranny out of a thunderbird should still be a AOD and that isnt a ecu controlled tranny. your thinking the AODE one
Old 11-04-2004, 01:16 AM
terramir

well right now I have a c3! and a 2.3L piece of crap I would like to be able to drive on the hills of flagstaff faster than 60 miles an hour "I drive over the rockies on a regular bases( well if you can call cali to texas and kansas over the rockies)
I was told that the Automatic overdrive transmission that will fit in the ford mustang is electronically controlled ergo there are solinoids in there. (don't shoot me for spelling) Now correct me If I'm wrong here because if the aod is not electronically controlled I'll slap it under my 2.3 till I get myself the 5.0 and then I'll just slap it together laterz with a 5.0 and the conputer be darned I'll just use a the 86 gt's one and get 200 hp out of it when I pull a 5.0 and springs and computer of a junked 5.0
So guys give me some room to work here I am learning by the minute and right now I really need details, because this needs to be the most solid 5.0 ever built after I pull that 5.0 I'm gonna rebuild it so it's like brand new and if that means I have to take a wire brush the size of a toothbrush to it so be it LOL

I got this POS of a 2.3L LX I wanna turn it into a 5.0 custom GT with OverDrive tranny the body is the same
in 1986 except for the springs and shocks and struts as far as I was informed. and this would be really cool[sm=smiley17.gif].
Except for my small problem right now at this second my transmission went out and I'm about to pull one from the junk yard. I was informed that the AOD in the thunderbirds and mustangs needed computer stuff,
so I need to know what I need to do in order to get my 2.3 working now and my future 5.0 to be compatible.
So HELP
[sm=sigh.gif]
A desperate
terramir
Old 11-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

the AOD isnt controlled by your ecu at all. the AODE is controlled. the AOD is shifts viva a TV cable. it will with no problem but you got a lot of work ahead. you need a new K member, a harness unless you went carbed. different fuel tank, different fuel lines, your rear is going to need replaced, your shocks and struts..honeslty sell your car buy another one.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:27 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

sounds like you got alot more to do than just that if your doing a complete motor exchange
Old 11-04-2004, 12:45 PM
terramir

ok explain to me why I need a complete fuelline exchange and why I need a new tank ?
Also what is a k member I thought the fuel line and tank were the same on the 5.0,
Also would I need any of this stuff for replacing my c3 or c5 with an aod or do you mean when I get a 5.0 because of the added weight of the motor?
also how do I regognize a standard AOD also is a TV cable the same thing I have on my c3 or c5 (haven't looked and counted the screws yet)
As for the shocks and struts I knew that I would need that when I was dropping the 5.0 in and that is ok when I get the 5.0 but for the transmission?.
I can go out and buy another car for $1000 and have everything wrong with it for the next few months once the probelms start showing or I can invest a few hundred bucks at the junk yard rebuild the stuff and well then after I'm done probably spent the same amount of money, but have an engine and transmission that will hold me since there rebuilt for another 60000 miles.
A used car is other people's problems me rebuilding this one and I'll know when and where I'll have the problems and how long I got peace of mind inbetween
terramir
Old 11-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

K member is the front cradle that holds the motor, struts, springs brakes, spindles

fuel lines the 5.0 is FI unless you got carbed.

youll also need a new tranny member

you dont have a TV cable you should have a kickdown cable totally different

you say its used is someone elses headache but what you dont see is this is going to be a headache. you have to completetly changed everything out and i mean everything. only thing youll have left is the shell.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:35 PM
terramir

I thought all the transmissions fit under there and the difference was just the inside?
Well first things first what do I need to put AOD transmission in place of this C3 or C5 (havn't counted the screws yet)
right now my motor is sound well as sound as 216000 can be.
So what do I need to pull and will it fit as is? Meaning does it bolt to the frame in the same spots it should right?
. Right now I need to change my transmission and it really doesn't make sense to exchance for another c3(or c5) if I'm going to put the AOD in anyway.

the K member I should be able to pull from a 5.0 and there are plenty there but that is the future
Also How do I identify the AOD versus the other one with all the solinoids inside?
What are the identifing marks.
And the TV cable and kick down are the way it shifts down when I fully excellerate? so will the TV one fit and what do I got to change right now and what later when I get a 5.0? the shifter should fit in the same console since they were the same in the first place.
only difference is the drive vs. drive and OD markings right?
let me know
help
terramir