5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

trouble shooting this sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 PM
AlabamaCobra
2nd Gear Member

Default trouble shooting this sound

1989 gt 5.0 with rebuilt WC T-5 tranny and a stage 2 clutch. When i take off in first of course and shift to second normal speed(pause in the neutral spot in between gears) there is no noise, no grind. But when i go from first straight to 2nd at a faster pace it grinds. I have even held clutch to the floor and counted to 2 before shifting to 2nd fast and there is still grind. I bought the car and the guy put the adjustable clutch cable on the car 15 mins before i drove it home and i had to later adjust it because it was letting the clutch off a half inch off of the floor, yet there was no grind when it was like this. Now that the clutch is adjusted to let out even with the brake pedal i hear the grind. The diesel mechanics where i work are telling me the clutch isnt pushing in some lever all the way or something and that if it were the synchros in the tranny it would grind no matter how fast i shifted. Anyone have any insight on what the hell this noise is?The clutch is brand new and the tranny has maybe 1600 miles on it.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
mcginnt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: trouble shooting this sound

i have the same issue although i dont have a brand new clutch or tranny. slow shifting works fine but when you try to do it quick it grinds. sorry i dont have an answer though, just a similar issue. [:@]
Old 03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
AlabamaCobra
2nd Gear Member

i was planning on making some of my money back by racing the local dumbass around here but with this new problem it doesnt look like ill be able to do that atm.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 PM
AlabamaCobra
2nd Gear Member

someone gimme a hand on this one...where is 94gtcoupe guy
Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

If it was clutch related, you would have problems fron 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5 and N to R....do you?....if not..........................
Old 03-08-2007, 01:11 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok man, its a syncro problem...no question...

slowly it works, but when you shift it quick, even w. the clutch all the way out you get a grind? yea man, syncro... i promise.

its in the 1st stages of wearing out... soon enough, youll have it do it worse and worse and worse... and eventually have to match rmps to shift... trust me, been there.

to fix it... well get it rebuilt... talk to 94gtcoupe, he rebuilds them..
Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

u said it didn't do it when the clutch was adjusted a little tighter there for it makes me thing that the clutch isn't releasing all the way.... and depending on how much it isn't releasing if might effect one gear or it might effect more than one gear,

my clutch engauges 2 inches from the top of the pedal (very easy to disengauge and engauge fast when speed shifting) i'm almost possative its your clutch, adjust it when u ge ta chance then update this thread with what happens,

it is possable that it's a syncro but since it was rebuilt recently for the syncro to be bad already it was not broken in right or REALY abused and had gear missed a couple of times
Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 AM
AlabamaCobra
2nd Gear Member

yep the guy i bought it from put the steeda adjustable clutch cable on the car, i drove it and let the clutch about a half inch off the floor and it took off, and would sling through the gears with NO grindbut there was just loose pedal from the brake pedal up. Well i went to work and let the "ford man" drive it and he crawled under my car and tightened it so that it was a stiff pedal all the way and it let out and the car took offeven with the brake pedal and it started to grind. He backed it off a little bit today and it doesnt grind aslong but still sucks *** to hear it only and 2nd and only when i shift fast, the guy i bought it from told me it could be that since he adjusted it its not pushing or releasing a lever all the way and its half way in and out of a gear. You still think its the clutch though?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:13 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

tighten the clutch alot so that there is no free play in the pedal... make the throwout bearing tough the pressure plate and if it still grinds after that then it's a syncro
Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok, now im curious on this one... len thinks if ya fix the clutch itll be fine... i think that the clutch problem caused a syncro problem i think adj the clutch will help but not eliviate it entirly... LET US KNOW!!!!!

Quick Reply: trouble shooting this sound