5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

4 cyl conv./header clearance prob.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 PM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 4 cyl conv./header clearance prob.

You know, I considered the washer idea. But since the arm is resting pretty much right against the header I'm sure I need at least a couple of inches of clearance so that it doesn't hit when the engine is running, especially if it ever goes to WOT. You're talking about a lot of twist to the engine when you open it up. But to get that much clearance, I'm going to have to put at least 3 or 4 thick washers under the motor mount. Then you have to worry about things being out of line, like the drive shaft and transmission...... Then I won't be selling her for $3000, instead I'd get $500 out of her for parts. I'm looking long term here, not a fix for the weekend.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Hey chill out buddy, I have a conversion car, but somehow dont have this problem. I had stock motor mounts on, and had no problems and they were shot-bad. Im running BBK equal's( assuming thats what you have) and i dont have any clearand prob., but im not too sure how much room o really do have. Now im pretty sure you know its your steering arm, But are you sure it isnt you CAI, cuz if mine isnt on there uite right its knows against the strut tower. Just and idea.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:36 PM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

No, can't be the CAI. I don't have one on it yet. I don't know, it has to be something dumb. And yeah, they are BBK equal length shorties. I'm completely lost. This has been an issue for a long time. Maybe I got a bad header on the drivers side.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hearthe5ohroar

No, can't be the CAI. I don't have one on it yet. I don't know, it has to be something dumb. And yeah, they are BBK equal length shorties. I'm completely lost. This has been an issue for a long time. Maybe I got a bad header on the drivers side.
Hmmm... well like you said, you know its the steering arm. Tommorrow ill check the clearance on my car and get back with you, buti know i have never had a problems Its a 90 lx, i beleive the steering arm its nothing special and like i said the old motors mounts gave me no problems( now I have energy suspension mounts)
Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 PM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'm planning on going to those once I get this fixed. I just can't figure it out. I have talked to a couple of "backyard" mechanics and they have never seen it on any of their mustangs either, but none of them have been conversion cars either. So I'm at a HUGE stand-still until I get this figured out.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

What year is you car, and is that steering arm have the u joint, maybe something worn and its not sitting right- espacially since you said you can pull up on the steering wheel
Old 04-09-2007, 11:57 PM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

It's an 88 LX HB..... But when I say I can pull up on the steering wheel, I'm not saying much more than half an inch and it's with A LOT of force. Yeah, the Rag joint is on the steering arm. But that's not what is in the way, it's the actual arm itself. before the rag joint.....
Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Ok. i see porbbaly normal play, thats weird tho, im thinking i can get like 2 fingers in between the header and sterring arm, i just dont see whats so tight with your
Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

Yeah, now you are starting to visualize my problem and how it doesn't make any sense either. :P
Old 04-10-2007, 12:24 AM
mustangguy82
1st Gear Member

your car is tweeked there is no difference in a 4 cyl car and a 8 cyl chassis there the same

Quick Reply: 4 cyl conv./header clearance prob.