5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1.1g's..what do i need

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:32 PM
fattony
2nd Gear Member

Default 1.1g's..what do i need

i made a goal for myself, to make my car pull 1.1g's on a skid pad. right now im still between strange 10 ways, or konis. either one im using the strange coilover kit up front and not sure on rear springs yet. im getting subframe connectors, roll bar soon, full bushing kit, and im thinking about getting a panhard bar,adjustable lower control arms along with new uppers. all the fun chassis connectors, strut top connectors and such. im not sure if i should upgrade the front sway bar, seeing hows its already pretty beefy. so what you guys think, what else do i need to pull a hearty 1.1g?? any help is appreciated.and btw everything i listed will be done by the end of may
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 1.1g's..what do i need

www.maximummotorsports.com

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...p;cPath=1_8_68

those guys are considered the best mustang suspension company out
there. Thier stuff is expensive but thoroughly researched and race tested.

I would call them before you buy anything and see what they say
and if its even possible.

1.1g on the skid pad is starting to get undoable i think.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:19 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

The first thing you'll need to do is put you and your stang on a diet. Remove all the weight possible and do the upgrades that save weight....main ones being A1 heads, tubular K (will be better w/ coilovers) and A-arms, and fiberglass hood.

Those together can easily remove 100+ #'s from your car. The more weight you carry=more momentum and less handling ability.

I would go Bilstein or Koni's for maximum performance and you'll also want some tight springs in addition to the chassis mods you already listed.

When you do this, you should get video....I would love to see a relatively low cost stang out handle .5 million dollar exotics.....
Old 03-09-2007, 01:26 PM
richs347
1st Gear Member

gspfunk: Since you know where I sleep could you change the sheets, do the laundry, and have dinner ready...

Don't forget sticky tires will be a necessity ...andmore $$.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richs347

gspfunk: Since you know where I sleep could you change the sheets, do the laundry, and have dinner ready...

Don't forget sticky tires will be a necessity ...andmore $$.
Do you two have something going on that weprobably shouldn'tknow about?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:37 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Definitely not...I don't swing that way and my fiance' would beat me retarded....he's skurred of my sig.....
Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Good luck pal. I have mine set up with MM adjustable control arms, sway bars, FRPP C springs, 5 way tokicos, all polygraphite bushings and nitto drag radials (granted the 01's are better track tires). It handles exceptionally wellbut I seriously doubt it can get up to even 1g. Check out the specs of some road track race foxes. I am willing to bet that even they can't get more than a g out of the skidpad. You are better off getting through the cornersquickly in a drift than you are trying to get this car to grip at over a g. Just my .02

Oh yeah. It rides like a logwagon.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM
fattony
2nd Gear Member

1.1 is just a goal right now. id be very happy if i got anywhere in the .9's. i just want this car to grip the road considerably better than stock.
and you guys recomend the koni's over the strange 10ways? ive been leading towards konis just because theyre rebuildable and revalveable. theyre both about in the same price range. ive just heard good things about the strange 10ways so thats why i was considering them. havent heard much about how konis work in stangs.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:29 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Where the hell did you come up with 1.1 g's???
Why that number?
Is this a road track car?
What does your car pull now?
Where are you going to test? I don't know of many skidpads, at least notin theSeattle area...

If you are dead set on hitting this 'magic number' then start reading...

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken and Milliken
Fundamentals of Venhicle Dynamics by Thomas Gillespie

Both are published by SAE so they may be hard to find, but they are the standard for young automotive engineers.

I know 'some stuff' and there is still a lot in those 2 books that challenges my mind.
If you are serious about hitting 1.1g's, hitting the books is the best way to start...
Especially after your 'sway bar' question.

Personally, I think the best way to get YOUR car to handle better in a turn will be to learn how to drive.
Nothing personal meant in that statement, but hitting a corner hard is more challenging than most people think. Especially in a car that is pushing the limits
I know the major limitation on my own cars abilityis driver skill (sadly I am the only person who drives my car...)

just my random thoughts...
jason