MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   computer geniuses (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/25672-computer-geniuses.html)

jamal420 11-04-2004 11:23 PM

computer geniuses

i was talking to a mechanic and after discussing mass air/ speed density he told me that speed desnity is actually better but in the mustangs case it doesnt respond well to mods beacuse the computer so does this mean that if some where out there a preformance computer is avalible for my 88 i wont have to convert to mass air or ditch the efi for a carb?

Quik 11-04-2004 11:26 PM

RE: computer geniuses

yes SD is better then MAF in all out racing. stock versus stock SD beats a MAF car of equal. SD will need to be tuned to run properly unlike MAF rides it wont beable ot adjust itself for mods. Look at most hardcore racers they are using SD specially when under boosted appications

jamal420 11-04-2004 11:33 PM

yah, but where are they getting their computers/how are they tuning them everyone i talk to tells me thay the computer i have the fuel and spark curves and what not are chisled in stone so to speak, i would like some info on how to be able to make some major mods and still have the drivibilty as i would if i had the mass air car

Quik 11-04-2004 11:49 PM

do you have a laptop? are you good with writing programs? if so get a port and the right software and go to town.. look into import companies like AEM they do a standalone for mustangs

20vVolvo 11-04-2004 11:52 PM

do you have a laptop? are you good with writing programs? if so get a port and the right software and go to town.. look into import companies like AEM they do a standalone for mustangs
hey im pretty good with computers...what does it take to do what ur talkin bout?

Quik 11-05-2004 12:04 AM

alot of time and patience. you need to get AEM standalone and youll be able to tune and run your car off a laptop like alot of others do. not alot of ppl do this cause it is pricey and a headache but once you master it, your car is in your hands

ORIGINAL: 05Mustang

hey im pretty good with computers...what does it take to do what ur talkin bout?

86HOGT 11-05-2004 01:18 AM

AEM, what does it stand for so I could do a search maybe?

Quik 11-05-2004 01:29 AM

its an import company but they do domestic also

blue89 11-05-2004 01:33 AM

ORIGINAL: jamal420

yah, but where are they getting their computers/how are they tuning them everyone i talk to tells me thay the computer i have the fuel and spark curves and what not are chisled in stone so to speak, i would like some info on how to be able to make some major mods and still have the drivibilty as i would if i had the mass air car
I believe 88 and below have eproms. That is to say the data has been hard coded in to a chip. I saw in Mustangs and fast fords tech support where you could modify the data with a homemade setup. It's been awhile since i read it and since i dont have a mustang with speed density i didnt down load it. Just advance your timing and by a good distributor and coil. MSD makes a blaster coil that puts out high volts. Open up your plugs. Get some shorty headers, an xpipe and exhaust.

20vVolvo 11-05-2004 02:13 AM

is there like a program or somethin? or is it strictly you programming it?