MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   gringing gears while powershifting? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/25684-gringing-gears-while-powershifting.html)

90Mustangfan 11-05-2004 12:41 AM

gringing gears while powershifting?

I was out practice launching, when I was power shifting from 1st to 2nd I messed up by not pressing the clutch in all the way, and it made that grind sound. exactly how bad it it for my stock tranny? Ive only done that twice and when It grinded i didnt force it it in gear, I knew I made the mistake and pressed the clutch back in.also I have a short shifter if that makes a difference.

Aliate X 11-05-2004 12:43 AM

RE: gringing gears while powershifting?

Its just as bad as it sounds. Gears are grinding together and chewing eachother up. A few times wont hurt but if you do it enough, it wont go into 2nd.

Quik 11-05-2004 12:46 AM

stock T5s dont like powershifting, dont do third or you will be out of a tranny soon. third gear ina stock t5 is very weak

90Mustangfan 11-05-2004 12:50 AM

Ive only done it twice, I think ill lay off the powershifting for a while, I dont have the money to buy a new one.

Aliate X 11-05-2004 01:07 AM

Yeah I dont like to powershift either, Just shifting fast as hell suits me fine.

87GT hatch 11-05-2004 01:08 AM

Personally, I think if you want to power shift, get an import. If you miss too much and over rev. somethings going to give. It's just not to smart to power shift a mustang unless you no that thing inside and out. I wouldn't even power shift if I was capable of it. You'll find you go through clutchs faster doing that too.

Aliate X 11-05-2004 01:10 AM

The syncros in the tranny would go first, which is worse, lol.

86HOGT 11-05-2004 01:15 AM

The gears in a transmission don't actually go out nor are you meshing gear together when you shift. What happens is that your synchronizers are getting ground down. They need to be pointy like an arrow to shift properly. When you grind a gear, you're not really grinding gear teeth, you're rubbing down those synchronizer nibs. Sooner or later, it'll grind into gear all the time, or not get into gear at all.

LOVEMY88GT 11-05-2004 01:32 AM

ya and thats what happened to me and now i have to rebuild my tranny. YAY!!!! (dont try this at home kids) I think it was the guy that had it before me though because i have only done it a couple of times if any.

vfast 11-05-2004 06:35 PM

well if your gonna power shift you better have a good shifter and a fast ramp quadrant......sythedic gear oil as well.....hell you don't really need the clutch on the 1-2 shift