5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

G-Force T-5 vs. Astro Performance "A-Five" Speed T-5 Gearset

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I8urLS1
1st Gear Member

Default G-Force T-5 vs. Astro Performance "A-Five" Speed T-5 Gearset

Does anyone have any experience with either of these transmissions? I'm looking for a gear kit for my T-5 and am leaning towards the G-force because it is a well known name and trusted. They are the same price, please help!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Default RE: G-Force T-5 vs. Astro Performance "A-Five" Speed T-5 Gearset

They're the same thing. They had it listed as G-Force, then changed it to A-Five, for whatever reason. I bought mine from APW in January. Put it in late February with the Mcleod clutch kit they sell. I love it.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Also they don't have a clutch alignment tool you can buy... So if you plan on rebuilding the tranny yourself, pull the T5 clutch and pressure plate. Then, toinstall your new clutch and pressure plate, use the new input shaft of the T5 kit you just got as your clutch alignment tool. Then rebuild the T5 on the bench and pop it in when you're all done.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I8urLS1
1st Gear Member

Thanks man, i believe they're very similar but i do know that they aren't the same. i sent the president of astro performance an email and he got back to me, check it out...

Drew,[/align][/align]The "A-Five" Gear Kit is the name of the Gear Kit we developed for all 1985-95 Ford Mustang 5.0L vehicles. The Gear Kit, formerly known as the Super T-5, features Larger/Wider/Thicker Gears than the G-Force T-5 "Helical Cut/Synchronized" Gear Kit. The two similarities are they both feature a 2.95 1st Gear Ratio, and that they both work with Factory/OEM Case, Bearings, Synchronizer/Blocking Rings, Shift Forks, and Sliders. Both the A-Five and G-Force Gear Kit work with Factory Output Shafts in the case that someone will not be needing the full 500+ Torque Capability. [/align][/align]Differences between the A-Five and G-Force are as follows:[/align][/align] A-Five Speed Gear Kit G-Force Gear Kit[/align][/align]1st Gear = Performance Cut / Thicker 1st Gear 1st Gear = Factory/OEM 1st Gear from 2.95 "Z" 5 Speed Transmission[/align][/align]Cluster Gear = Removable 3rd/4th Gear (Individual) Cluster Gear = Removable 1-Piece 3rd/4th Gear[/align][/align]2.95 1st, 1.95 2nd, 1.36 3rd, 1.00 4th = Ratios2.95 1st, 1.94 2nd, 1.34 3rd, 1.00 4th = Ratios[/align][/align]525 Ft. Lbs. of Torque Capability500 Ft. Lbs. of Torque Capability[/align][/align]The A-Five Gear Kit as mentioned above features "Larger/Thicker" Wider Gears over that from G-Force.We manufacture all of our A-Five Speed Components here in the U.S.A. Cost is higher by doing this, as you can see our Gear Kit is "equal" to the price of the G-Force Gear Kit, but Quality is of utmost concern. Please be sure to check out the next Issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords. We did a "build up" with our A-Five Gear Kit into Editor Steve Bauer Mustang. Name of Article "Project Stolen Goods". It should hit newsstands in about a week - week 1/2! [/align][/align]We still sell the G-Force Product, but not nearly as much as in the past. Availability Issues, and more recently "broken" transmissions built with their gear sets, are reasons for developing our very own product. If you check around on the Forums and or Search Engines you'll truly find out stories behind both our A-Five and the G-Force T-5 Gear Kit.[/align][/align]Thanks,[/align][/align][align=left]Anthony (Tony) Sarvis[/align][align=left](866) 253-0019 Ext.101[/align][align=left]President[/align][align=left]www.astroperformance.com[/align][align=left][/align][/align]

[hr]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:03 PM
To: tony@astroperformance.com
Subject: a-five gear kit

[/align][/align]Dear sir,[/align][/align]I am in the market for a gear kit for my T-5. A friend of mine told me not to buy a g-force kit yet, but to wait until you came out with your copy. I justvisited your website and found the A-five kit you guys came out with. My friend had told me he spoke to a tech who said it would be in the 600-800$ range without an upgraded main shaft, which I am in the market for anyway but I noticed that it is priced equally to the G-force name brand kit. Your HP and TQ ratings are considerably lower than G-force's- what would be an advantage of going with your product? It just doesn't seem to me there is a better value on your website than G-force's which is a well known and trusted name. I would be inclined to purchase your kit not knowing for sure if it is as strong as your competitors if it was more reasonably priced. The purpose of this e-mail is not to waste your time, but to honestly get more information on your product. A return e-mail would be greatly appreciated.[/align][/align]Very interested in CT,[/align]Drew Prosio[/align]
Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

i think this guy has a g-force....http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...51c8e6b576.htm
Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Well I don't know what to say about that then. Whichever one I got works great, only have about 300 miles on it since I put it in. Feels great. I did buy it from APW though. One thing I noticed was they had very inflated pricing on the extra parts, like sliders, mainshafts, etc.compared to the G-Force site. I would consider buying one of those mainshafts they sell though. I needed a new one for mine, and it costed me $230 for a new one from Tremec brand. The 9310 mainshaft they sell is supposed to increase the HP and TQ handling by like 100 or something like that. Honestly it sounds like they're playing a numbers game with you to get your business rather than going somewhere else to get it ya know?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
craigwhite89gt
2nd Gear Member

I talked to the owner from astro and they stopped selling GForce due to some problems they were having... and i belive they said they made them in mexico or some ****... Im goin with AFive
Old 03-10-2007, 10:24 PM
I8urLS1
1st Gear Member

Yea I do like the ideaof the Astro being made here, but I also like the fact that G-force is a big name in drag racing and road racing and are a fairly trusted name. I'm still up in the air, and I definately agree that they're just telling me it will handle more power so I'll buy it. There's not much of a warranty offered, so they've got little to lose.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:33 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

my friend is looking into the gforce for his 5.0 rx7, its atwin turboroad race car so he needs something that will last
Old 03-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I8urLS1
1st Gear Member

does anyone else have any imput, it would be appreciated, THANKS!