5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Egr plate help

Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default Egr plate help

Hey all. I just bought a 86 gt. Couple questions. First my egr plate has to water nipples dissconnected, the water line have a piece of pipe conecting them bypassing the egr. And theegr nipples are just sitting there open with nothing on umm.Is that ok? 1 Other question the frame rail where my clutch cable mounts to is rusted and pulled apart lol. Its a piece like 10 inches lond and 4 inches high just hangin there next to the motor. Is this a comon place for them to rust ? Is it just a skin it seems flimzy not likeframe rail should be.You all shold know what in talkinf about its right where the cable mounts next to the motor.Also should i try to just re weld it back in , or use a new peice of steel, or take it out and relocat the mount for the clutch cable ?

Edit.. what was the point of the water lines there would 200 degree water heat it more than it would cool? Also what if it leaked wouldnt dumping water in the intake kill a motor lol. Must be fords way of job security lmao. Thanx all
Old 03-11-2007, 12:14 AM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Egr plate help

I disconnected the water lines 8-9 years ago, with no problems. I just plugged the hoses off where they come out of the lines on top of the intake. Leaving the nipples just sitting there is fine because they dont go to nothing except the water jacket in the egr. I put vaccuum plugs on them and left them at that. If they happen to leak, sure they will kill the motor. But that will almost never happen. If it does you have other problems becides egr plate.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Ty for your help. I just off the phone with me lil brother. he has 3 f-bodys. 2 95 t/a's and a 98 z28 full track car non street. He said the lt1's does that same its a heater so the egr dont sitck ( it runs to the throttle body on lt1's) So i guess hes prolly right on that. (btw im the one who got him intochevys/gm's lol i went to the dark side but i love my 2 fords) Mine arnt caped off i will do so to make it look cleaner.Anouther question my friend has a bone stock sn95 5.0 auto and i have a 86 fox gt 5 speed. I have the parts being shipped but i will have stock headers, pase setter race h-pipe ( no cats) and dumps, someone made asort ram inatke with a knn (witch it smasked against the alt ??? why the hell they did that i dont know. tomoro my old lady is bring my digi cam back home so ill post 1000+ pics lol also i bought the car for 600$) but anyways i will be getting a fender cold intake. He says his car will blow the doors off mine since its newer. Like i said i will have exhaust and the short ram intake. Also i wanna know what gear is in mine seems low as hell i mean like third gear @ 35mph im @ 2000- 2500 rpm. I was told it was a 4.65 but i dont think its that low that would be stupid. Any Ideas on gear,And will iget my a$$ wooped by the 95 ( bone sotck no nothing), and was the egr water line ment for heating? TY very much im trying to pick up this ford thing lol j/k. Its the fuel injection system getting me in knots lmao. ( Chevy.Ford,Mopar same thing lil different meaning old motors non EFI) lol Thank you once agian.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:28 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

The EGR water lines were there to help cool the egr, you wont gain anything by removing them. Some people think they are there to help warm the air or something, but if you think about it, the intake would be warm anyway, with is right next to it...and if you were starting it cold, those would be cold.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:46 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Good point. Makes sence. Good answerd in my book TY. What about the other 2 questions about my friends 95 5.0 killing me. With my exhaust abd dumb short ram intake. And any idey what gears i could have with it being 2000-2500 rmp@ 35mph 3rd gear. prolly closer to 2000 for forget exactly just seamed way high. TY agin for your responce 5.0stanger.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:51 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Couple pices with my phone. first one is nect to my truck at work. 2nd is at quick mart grabbing smokes. She has lil holes in quarters behine doors nothing big though. Ohh and someone did a gay "White Out" hightlight of the gt on the hood. lmao . I did buy her yesterday for 600$. Motor runs very very strong mabey cause of the whatever low gear it has lol. Ty again all.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:06 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

looks nice.

As far as figuring the gear ratio out, you can jack up the rear and spin the tire, watch the drive shaft for how many times it spin in relation to the tire. Example, on a 3.73 rear, the drive shaft will spin 3 times whin the tire spins a little past 7. 4.10, drive shaft 4, tire 10. Get it? Might get you close.

I have a 3.73 and I run around 2800 rpms in 5th @ around 75 to 80. 55mph puts me at just under 2000 rpms when I am in 5th.

As far as the race goes, I have no idea. You have E6 cylinder heads which flow a little less than the 95 with has E7's. It might be a close one depending on his gearing and mods.

BTW, car looks like a steal for 600 bones...wanna sell it??? I'l give you $625[8D]
Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Lol hell i just went from being the biggest chevy person to a ford man. I should get some congrats for that lol. I fell in live with my f150 01,5.4l,4x4 its a tough truck even though its not a 250,350 lol. When the mustang came around i couldnt beat it for 600$ **** they sell for sick prices. Once driveing it home not minding every gear grinded like hell dew to a bad clutch in guessing( wont even go into first at a stop, and cluchcatches almost top of peddle.) She still broke loose in second on a strait with eaze. I have realy fell in love with it. cant wait till shes driveable. The sn05 is bone BONE stock no intake no nothing. If that helps. Also this my seem like a dumb question what kinda fluid does me tanny take? I seen a sumit t5 and says requires automatic trany fluid. Does the stock t5 take reg gear oil or auto fluid to fill. Yes i work on cars all the time i know there is no dip stick to fill you have to pull the plug on the side lol. But what type of fluid is need for the t5? thanx again (also any more input on the sn95 vs my 86 gt in not trying to start a flame just wonderin if his like dealer stock 95 auto would kill my 86 gt manuel witch has exhast stock headers, pace setters race h-pipe and dumps, and some redneck short ram intake witch smashes the filter into the alt lmao. Tx for All reaponces to my post. I will have 1000 more upgrade questions once shes street driveable lol. Thanks again all !!
Old 03-11-2007, 03:35 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

It is a SN95 first off, and yes, the T5 requires ATF.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

It is a SN95 first off, and yes, the T5 requires ATF.
What do ya mean by its a sn95 meaing thay are alot faster stock ? or slower being a auto?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Egr plate help