5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

case of the slips

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:08 PM
new2v8s
1st Gear Member

Default case of the slips

so my aod is starting to slip first gear and i just want to swap it tomanual but i think i am just going to give it a badass rebuild. so here is where i ask you guys for help. can you tell me everything i need to rebuild my aod like what valve body or shift kit, shifter, torque converter, what size rear gear and whatever else i would need. and could you provide me with the links to these things? i want to not regret swapping the tranny so i want this thing to kick ***. thanks in advance guys. i hope you can hook me up with some great info.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: case of the slips

ill tell you something, those gaskets on the valve body plates, will take a very long time to remove unless you have a orbital gasket remover and disk.

Its not hard to rebuild an AOD just time consuming, however, a shop will ony charge $450 to rebuild if you drop it off.

Honestly, they are a dime a dozen at the yard, find a blown eninge from a t-bird, taxi etc and youll be sure it had a good AOD. I have found several rebuit ones, you can tell by the paint on the case or the tech will scribe his signature.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM
BlackBetty93GT
3rd Gear Member

that still didnt answer him of what to get if he wants to do it himself

i am interested in this to, i already know im gonna get a lentech street cruiser valve body...but what else do you need?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:31 AM
BlackBetty93GT
3rd Gear Member

anyone?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 PM
new2v8s
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty93GT

that still didnt answer him of what to get if he wants to do it himself

i am interested in this to, i already know im gonna get a lentech street cruiser valve body...but what else do you need?
thats true. i am also going to get the street cruiser valve body and a b&m hammer shifter but i dont know what else. i may take it to a shop to get it rebuilt and install the vlave body just because i dont want anything to mess up and i want it done right.but still dont know what kind of torque converter to get and i may go with 3:90 gears. ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY THAT WILL HELP ME?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

most rebuild kits include:

- Kevlar OD band
- A++ servo
- stronger/tighter springs

your best bet would be to....

pull the tranny yourself
drop it off at a shop and have it rebuilt with heavy duty parts (like i described) and throw in an aftermarket valve body.
this will be a pricey rebuild but better than buying a new tranny or swapping.

AOD's CAN KICK ***.. they just need help hehe
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
BlackBetty93GT
3rd Gear Member

yeah my plans are the same

Lentech street cruiser valve body
B&M Hammer shift kit
3.90 gears

and then maybe a rebuild kit from summit or somethin
Old 03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

If you're looking for a VERY NICE, cheap (pricewise), custom built torque converter, go with what RSW007 and I are running, http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/ . RSW007is running 12.8's on his.I've researched the TCI streetfighter valve body, and the lentech street cruiser valve body(pretty much the same). I didn't like notknowing how hard the shifts were going to be, and not being able to raise my shift points, AND I didn't like the price tag for justa pre-installed shift kit. So instead of the valve body I decided to go with the AOD ReCal kit from here http://www.becontrols.com/ . When you're thinking about rebuilding the AOD, don't forget to factor in the price of the tools that you're going to need specifically for rebuild the tranny. I would say spend the money on thatBaumann kit and a new boost valve, unless you've got a new or beefed upAOD or you decide to go full manual.

thats true. i am also going to get the street cruiser valve body and a b&m hammer shifter but i dont know what else. i may take it to a shop to get it rebuilt and install the vlave body just because i dont want anything to mess up and i want it done right.but still dont know what kind of torque converter to get and i may go with 3:90 gears. ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY THAT WILL HELP ME?
I've got 3.90's and a custom built 3000 rpm torque converter from the site that I mentioned above. I works great on the street.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
new2v8s
1st Gear Member

can you tell me more info on what you are running on your car? and keep in mind i dont know much about transmissions any info you can give asap will be extremely helpful. but that valve body sounds like a good deal. can you tell me how long you have had it and how its working for you? and i was just going to buy a rebuild kit from auto zone and take the tranny to a shop with all the parts and have them rebuild it for me. or do you think i should invest in a better rebuild kit? because like i said in my first post the tranny is slipping. so could you plz give me some more info on this?
ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

If you're looking for a VERY NICE, cheap (pricewise), custom built torque converter, go with what RSW007 and I are running, http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/ . RSW007is running 12.8's on his.I've researched the TCI streetfighter valve body, and the lentech street cruiser valve body(pretty much the same). I didn't like notknowing how hard the shifts were going to be, and not being able to raise my shift points, AND I didn't like the price tag for justa pre-installed shift kit. So instead of the valve body I decided to go with the AOD ReCal kit from here http://www.becontrols.com/ . When you're thinking about rebuilding the AOD, don't forget to factor in the price of the tools that you're going to need specifically for rebuild the tranny. I would say spend the money on thatBaumann kit and a new boost valve, unless you've got a new or beefed upAOD or you decide to go full manual.

I've got 3.90's and a custom built 3000 rpm torque converter from the site that I mentioned above. I works great on the street.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 AM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

get a junkyard tranny out of a 97-current 3.8 stang or 4.2 f-150 "4r70w" and put a manual vb in it along with your aod tailshaft. then get a GOOD converter. you will be set then.