5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

dipstick broke.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 PM
mcginnt
2nd Gear Member

Default dipstick broke.

when i recently installed headers back i tried to be as careful as possible with the dipstick, well now it seems that it has broken off at the bottom by the pan. how ****ed am i?

regardless of what i fix something comes up next. is there a point when you should just throw in the towel and sell it? id really rather not...
(88 gt vert)
Old 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: dipstick broke.

You just have to try and be patient with cars, **** happens, and you always have an excuse to install a new and better part, besides, some of these parts are almost 20 years old, they won't last forever.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:27 PM
mcginnt
2nd Gear Member

yeah, but this car has had problems since i got it. it has been off the road more than i have been able to drive it.

how would i go about fixing the broken dipstick? i can see where it comes apart at the pan but theres nothing holding it in. is it usually welded in or something?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:30 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcginnt

when i recently installed headers back i tried to be as careful as possible with the dipstick, well now it seems that it has broken off at the bottom by the pan. how ****ed am i?

regardless of what i fix something comes up next. is there a point when you should just throw in the towel and sell it? id really rather not...
(88 gt vert)
I've come to this point a couple times but I haven't sold it yet. My car has been behaving lately, even after running the **** out of it at the track last week.

You should be able to buy a new dipstick...I *think* they're just threaded into the oil pan.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:38 PM
mcginnt
2nd Gear Member

it sucks becuase i love this car, but i cant get it running right, and cant afford to take it somewhere and have it fixed. since this being my only car at the moment... idk what to do.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:51 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

spry the peice thats stuck in teh pan with wd40 or pb blaster the try to grip it the a pair of neddle nose vise grips a move it back and fort unitl it get loose then pull it out . then order a lokar dipstick and make a custome route
Old 03-11-2007, 06:51 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

I can't tell you how much money I coughed up in repairs I didn't think it needed...*sigh*
Old 03-11-2007, 07:34 PM
mcginnt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PONY GUY

spry the peice thats stuck in teh pan with wd40 or pb blaster the try to grip it the a pair of neddle nose vise grips a move it back and fort unitl it get loose then pull it out . then order a lokar dipstick and make a custome route
its not that its stuck in, it broke off right at the base.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i think mine just slid right out.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Are you sure it broke off? They should be 2 ribs molded into the tube. If they are both there then it just came out. Just put some RTV on it and slid it back in. If they are not there then its broke and you need to get a new one. It not a big deal to fix.

Quick Reply: dipstick broke.