5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Water In One Cylinder.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 02:20 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Water In One Cylinder.

YUP
ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

chain and cam would take like 10 mins to swap one you alreay have the heads off
Old 11-06-2004, 03:37 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

thanks for all the info, now i gotta focus on what setup im going with, sux too, because i only gota pass smog once, and never gotta do it again...
Old 11-08-2004, 01:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

those compression tests numbers do not indicate a blown head gasket. are you losing coolant level in the radiator?? if so, there is a chance you have a hairline crack in the cylinder wall which will let water enter the cylinder. get the engine up to normal temp and try this. pull the spark plug out of cylinder #3, ground the plug wire and then start the engine. does water shoot out of the plug hole? if so, then you need a new block. was talking just last month with a fellow racer and this is what happend to his engine.
I would think really hard about doing lot of upgrades on a block with that many miles on it as the bearings and rings have to have lots of wear on them. I would recommend a complete rebuild maybe with another block.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:52 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

wow i hope its not that, guess i should put my plugs back in and start it up and try that.... thanks roundman, also i dont seem to be losing much coolant
Old 11-09-2004, 01:24 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

this guys wasn't either but his car had fallen off about .2's from earlier in the year and he couldn't seem to figure it out until he ran it with the plug out and there it was. hope this isn't what's wrong with yours, but......
Old 11-09-2004, 01:47 PM
1990mustanggt
4th Gear Member

Head gasket was my first thought, but since you said that it makes alot of sence.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:07 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the tipoff for me was the higher 180 psi compression reading on #3 cylinder with all the rest at 160 psi. if there is a hairline crack in the cylinder, this will make it miss/not fire and then carbon builds up on the piston top effectively raising the compression in just that one cylinder.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:11 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

yea, because #3 spark plug was wet and hald major build up.... i first noticed it wasnt firing when i unpluged each injector one at a time, that one didnt make a difference...... well its looking like a crappy day today, but if its not raining by time i get off work im going to run it without #3 plug....
Old 11-09-2004, 07:14 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

rdman..was thinking the same thing.....put some stop leak in it!......drive it while ya build another engine...
Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

sooooooooo roundman..... well i put the plugs back in my car... drove it around my neighborhood for a long while, got temp to operating temp... pulled #3 out and it wasnt even moist.... checked compression again, its 150 now...ran it without plug, just noisy as hell with no water lol.. im pretty confused now.. and its running on all 8 cyl... what could cause this intermittent problem? cracked block still? also i just noticed that my oil gauge bounces around alot just started today, but when its not bouncing it runs at the M on normal, so i guess its nothing to be concenrd about... what do you guys think could be up now? im going to try to run it a few more times and see if it ever gets wet, if not then im most likely going to just pnp the heads and get a ecam, because i cant get a straight answer from anyone if a b is smogable

Quick Reply: Water In One Cylinder.