5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

injector and MAF idea/question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:55 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default injector and MAF idea/question

i no a few of the ford suvs(not sure which ones, looking into it RIGHT NOW, lol.) have 24 lb injectors

is it possible to grab the injectors and maf off of them, and a comp from a 89+ fox to do my mass air conversion? i dont see why not... but ya never no
Old 03-12-2007, 06:02 PM
mopman93
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: injector and MAF idea/question

yeah that should be fine, i mean the maf will be calibrated to the injectors and they dont rly matter wat comp theyre hooke dup to as long as its a maf comp, so yeah just make sure u get the wiring right wen u splice into the harness
Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

That is wrong.

It's set in the EEC not in the MAF for what injectors you use.
You will have to use a "calibrated" MAF that tricks the EEC
or Anderson just came out with a "tunable" MAF that you can set correctly
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I know that the older 4.0 explorers come w/ 30lb'ers Almost got like 18 of them the other day but all three of them were burried 4 ft in mud lol
Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 PM
LIL D
2nd Gear Member

make sure the maf is calibrated for right size injectors your usin like 24# injectors use a maf calibrated for 24# injectors and just wire the comp up right or just find a guy that wrecked their mustang and buy their maf equipment i might have a factory maf layin around if interested
Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

As r.barn stated already...

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FORD MAF, WHICH IS *CALIBRATED* TO AN INJECTOR SIZE.

This is an important concept to grasp onto.
There is a setting in the computer for the MAF size.
And another setting in the computer for the injector size.
2 separate settings.

ONLY aftermarket MAF meters are *calibrated* to an injector size. The aftermarket did this so that the average Mustang enthusiast would not have get the computer reprogrammed for new injectors.

The Ford method is MUCH more accurate, and will not produce idle issues the way many aftermarket MAF/Injectors will.

If you want to convert to MAF, and are going to be using 24lb injectors with the conversion, then the 93 Cobra X3Z computer/MAF/injectors are the best way to do it.
This will give you very good idle quality and drivability with your 24's.

You have to buy a computer, MAF, and injectors anyway. Just get the right ones from the start and don't mess around with the aftermarket MAF meters.

jason
Old 03-13-2007, 01:51 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea and where do u suggest i go buy cobra maf shyt?

im more thinking... now after this info(mass air is new to me... i like sd!!!) ill rock an aftermarket meter, c&l seems good... and a fox body comp(89+ obv.)... and the 24# from another ford will be fine right>?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:54 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

I have a used 73mm C&L MAF sensor for sale with the 24# sample tube for an 87-93

PM me
Old 03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

thanks px... the mass air conversion wont be for a lil while tho... but thx anyway
Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

yea and where do u suggest i go buy cobra maf shyt?

im more thinking... now after this info(mass air is new to me... i like sd!!!) ill rock an aftermarket meter, c&l seems good... and a fox body comp(89+ obv.)... and the 24# from another ford will be fine right>?
There is a certain amount of risk that you take when using an aftermarket MAF. The aftermarket meter quality is not as good as the Ford MAF meters. You are more likely to have idle and drivability issues.
This is why the 93 Cobra setup is recommended.

If you are not into that...
Then an A9* computer, 24lb injectors and 73mm (or larger) C&L meter will probably work quite well.
You are just taking the chance that you will have issues later...
PMAS would be a slightly better choice than C&L, as they tend to have fewer issues.
Just make sure the MAF is *calibrated* for the injectors and computer.

IF, stock 19lb injectors will provide enough fuel (I am not familiar with your setup), then the 70mm Ford MAF from a 94-95 Mustang will be a better MAF than the aftermarket units.

The MAF system is very sensitive to ACCURACY. If the MAF is not accurate, then the computer has no idea what is going on...

Just some options,
jason

Quick Reply: injector and MAF idea/question