5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

smoke what? updated

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: smoke what?

ya it would be an excuse for an h/c/i swap but i dont have the money for that.. im poor and in college... lol

and skyler what is a leak down kit? and what does that do?

and if it is the head gasket then would i have to remove the intake to take the heads off? and i dont want to pay some guy $70/hr to fix my car... hopefully its not and it can wait til summer so i can try and find a set of gt40 heads and buy my buddy's e-cam

ugh i hate problems... im not even sure if it is steam tho cuz it was kinda thick blackish/grey so idk but it only smoked after my car started overheating and when i stopped moving.. no smoke while driving..

im gonna check the oil pressure sending unit to see if its leaking or just replace it n e ways first.. well after i do my oil change and see if there is coolant in there

Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 PM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

if it was the head gasketyou would know it it wouldnt drive right at all you would have no power because there would be no compression your car would feel very weak all the time and if it was water in the oil from a head gasket when it was warm it would steam like hell because the water in the crankcase would boil
Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

^^ well that doesnt happen

so where could i be loosing the coolant from? and why would my engine overheat so much when i get on it? i just had the thermostat and waterpump replaced w/ the stock replacemnts. and when i check the oil w/ the dip stick it seems to be fine but again im gonna do the oil change friday

im thinking it might be the oil pressure sending unit thats leaking that is causing the smoke like 93lxfive0 said.. and prob some unburnt fuel. i run 93octane.

but i could hear the water/coolant boiling when i shut the car off and popped the hood..but that could be because there wasnt enough in there.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

who did the thermostat? it could be installed wrong or frozen not allowing it to open (ie: causing ur car to overheat)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:52 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

me and my father did the thermostat but ive done many a thermostat and so has my father and it should be in there correct but the mechanic could have taken it off when he replaced the waterpump so idk

ugh i just want to go out there and fix it right now but i dont have tools here at my college
Old 03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Skyler5.0
3rd Gear Member

ITs Called an=Engine Cylinder Leak Down Test Kit
Kit allows easy identification of engine compression problems. [/align]Leak down gauge measures exact leakage amount and helps identify source of leak. [/align]
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Skyler5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: black_pearl_gt

if it was the head gasketyou would know it it wouldnt drive right at all you would have no power because there would be no compression your car would feel very weak all the time and if it was water in the oil from a head gasket when it was warm it would steam like hell because the water in the crankcase would boil
Thatfor the most part is tru, but if its got a bad spot in the gasket it would not be as bad, but due the higher rpm and the pressurecaused by it, it would force the leak to show and by an with the motr heating up it would just make matters worsei had that happen to me iwhen i canged my heads you could see wear coolant was geting in from the bad gasket seal. Head gasket don't always go at once most don't, just over time and then harder you drive your car, the quicker it happens
Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Skyler5.0
3rd Gear Member

Oh! and to repair a BHG you need to remove the top half of the motor, and its smarter to do both at the same time then doing one,(found out that the hard way ) [:@]
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

sweet...... is it hard to replace? im pretty mechanically inclined so i prob could do it.and i would need new head gaskets and intake gaskets? what else is needed?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:18 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ok so today i changed my oil and there was no coolant in the oil it was just black... so the coolant isnt mixing w/ the oil...

but it did seem to run a little ****tier today than usual. seemed lack of a little power but not much. and i put my hand over the tail pipe and it didnt seem normal like a little rougher than normal and it like had a little suction too... also when i took my hand off it was kinda wet.. im so confused w/ this damn thing lol. i checked all the plugs and they were fine slightly on the lean side but not bad. any ideas guys?

oh and on annother note. where the speedo cable goes into the tranny. i could just pull it out easilly the clip is there but the cable end wont go into the tranny far enough for the clip to slide into the grooves to hold it there so some of the tranny oil is leaking onto my h-pipe.... if n e one can tell me why or have n e ides on how i can get it in further it would be great.

oh and how do you check/add oil to the tranny n e ways? cuz 5spds dont have a dipstick like the autos do.

Quick Reply: smoke what? updated