MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Mass Air Sensor (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/260703-mass-air-sensor.html)

Pure5.0 03-18-2007 12:50 PM

Mass Air Sensor

So still haven't found my power problem. (Loss of power after 2K RPM)

I have ruled out my cats because the problem comes and goes...in a matter of seconds. I accelerate hard and it pulls, then it just laggs then it pulls.

I think it might be my fuel pump but when I run it hard it doesn't get hot like it is running lean...but I'm not ruling this out yet.

Someone told me that it could be my Mass Air Sensor. So I have been looking all over and cannot find the sensor to replace it.

I want to purchase an aftermarket Mass Air Meter (like C&L) but does that come with a new sensor? It looks like I bolt my old one to the meter.

Where can I find a new sensor? And what do they run in price?

94StinkinLincoln 03-18-2007 01:03 PM

RE: Mass Air Sensor

i got a Pro-M 75mm and it was 206 shipped from Jd's Performance

AdderMk2 03-18-2007 01:43 PM

junkyard..... 94-95 mustang.... doesnt matter if its a 3.8l or 5.0

they are 70mm and will work fine with your car

Pure5.0 03-18-2007 06:48 PM

So the aftermarket meters come with a new sensor that plugs right in, or does anything have to transfer over from the old Mass air?

Chitown racer 03-18-2007 07:02 PM

Hell dude just run down to your local home depot or lowes and buy yourself a length of 3" PVC pipe, cut it to the length of your stock meter, drill a hole big enough fit the meter element through, slap that bitch in there and poof you have a bigger maf meter. Will it work? Of course it will, cuz the size of the meter housing dont matter, its all in the computer.

vristang 03-18-2007 07:54 PM

Chitown- I hope I just didn't pick up on the sarcasm in your post, and that you were NOT being serious...

A C&L meter re-uses the factory MAS, and PMAS meters come with a new MAS which is specific to the tube that you buy.

If you are sticking with the 19lb injectors, then the 94-95 Mustang MAF is a great option. Here is a list of vehicles it can be sourced from, and some other details...

For your combo, a better option may be the MAF/MAS from a 94-95 Mustang.
This is a 70mm tube, which is a direct swap for an A9* computer, as long as the 19's are still in use.

Here is a list of some of the Factory uses for this meter...
94-95 Mustang 5.0
94-95 Mustang 3.8
94-95 Mustang Cobra 5.0
92-94 Crown Vic 4.6
but there may be others.
the important features are...
70mm tube diameter
part number 'F2VF' on the MAS (the little black sensor box)

This meter would be a mild performance upgrade, worth a couple (5-7)HP.
The only 'converting' required is an inlet tube adapter. I can't find a good link right now, but they are available.
If nothing else, some guys have simply cut the flange off the 70mm housing and slipped their inlet hose over the MAF (similar to the original setup).

If you can't find one of these meters...
The factory meter for the MAF Mustang 5.0 was a 55mm tube with a 'F1ZF' MAS.
This sensor was also available on...
88-93 Mustang 5.0
89-95 Taurus SHO 3.0
88-93 T-Bird 3.8
92-93 T-Bird 5.0

2 kwik 03-18-2007 07:59 PM

your cats could have hardened you can tap them to see if it sounds like a hard like biscuit is what we called it inside moving around this can cause your problem.....check your fuel pressure every stang should have a gauge

Chitown racer 03-19-2007 05:37 AM

Sarcasm? What reason would I have to be sarcastic? I was just passing alongoneof the latestbits of wisdom I learned right here in this very forum. I've been shown the error of my ways by those greater then myself. I've been foolish to think all these years that tuning is required, ever! I have been shown a new world where the size of your MAF doesnt matter and all you need to run bigger injectors is a calibrated MAF. A world where no one cares about things like idle quality and drivability, where fuel curves and timing curves are a thing of the past and all you need to do is crank your distributor and bump your base timing up and all is right with the planet. Someone needs to call SCT, Diablo, TwEECer, PMS, and all the rest and tell them that all thier yearsof R&D andmillions of dollarsspent developing tuning sofware andequipment was a waste. All you need to do to tune your carbuy a huge calibrated MAF and and then twist and turn it till you find a spot were it doesnt die out at idle crank your distributor and your allgood. Sarcasm? Who me? Never.

jrhaden 03-19-2007 05:42 AM

My car was doing pretty much the same thing. I could only hold it at like half throttle, any farther and it would just dog out. I got a MAF from my buddy and cured the problem.

vristang 03-19-2007 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Chitown racer

Sarcasm? What reason would I have to be sarcastic? I was just passing alongoneof the latestbits of wisdom I learned right here in this very forum. I've been shown the error of my ways by those greater then myself. I've been foolish to think all these years that tuning is required, ever! I have been shown a new world where the size of your MAF doesnt matter and all you need to run bigger injectors is a calibrated MAF. A world where no one cares about things like idle quality and drivability, where fuel curves and timing curves are a thing of the past and all you need to do is crank your distributor and bump your base timing up and all is right with the planet. Someone needs to call SCT, Diablo, TwEECer, PMS, and all the rest and tell them that all thier yearsof R&D andmillions of dollarsspent developing tuning sofware andequipment was a waste. All you need to do to tune your carbuy a huge calibrated MAF and and then twist and turn it till you find a spot were it doesnt die out at idle crank your distributor and your allgood. Sarcasm? Who me? Never.
I should have known...
Don't forget to recommend a AFPR too...
'Tuning' without that is just pointless :D