5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

clean and prep block for new h/c/i

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:49 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default clean and prep block for new h/c/i

ok i was just wondering what to do to the block to clean it all up b4 the head cam and intake go bak on....

what should i do the clean off the gaskets.... and i really dunno what other questions to ask... so for all those who have done a h/c/i or now how to please give me advice on what to clean up on the block and how to do it.... i dont want a dirty engine when i get done
Old 03-18-2007, 06:52 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: clean and prep block for new h/c/i

Heh, I am currently doing the same thing as we speak. Getting the gasket off the front cover was a *****, at first i was using a gasket remover and a razor blade (being careful not to screw up the aluminum) but then my friend brought a grinder over and with a gentle pad removed all the gasket and polished the aluminum up very nicely. As for the block, the head gasket residue (sp) came off easily with a razor blade. To clean the block i used a wire wheel and a more agresive grinder (for the flat areas) to get all the loose rust off, and in the tight creavises (sp) my friend let me borrow his dremel to get the crap out of the way. I just taped everything off and sprayed the block with rust reformer (turns rust into primer) and now its ready to paint...
Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Scrape off all the the existing gasket material really well. Pretty much wanna make it look like a mirror. Theres a lil air tool that uses a lil sanding disc that takes off gaskets really really good. Clean everything outa your cylinders too, i also got all the carbon build up off the top of my pistons. And when you take your timing cover off make sure nothing of large size drops down into your oil pan.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:56 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

Use this it is a gasket scraper. Make sure you clean everything to. I put a shop vac on mine to make I got it all off.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:03 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

Scrape off all the the existing gasket material really well. Pretty much wanna make it look like a mirror. Theres a lil air tool that uses a lil sanding disc that takes off gaskets really really good. Clean everything outa your cylinders too, i also got all the carbon build up off the top of my pistons. And when you take your timing cover off make sure nothing of large size drops down into your oil pan.
That's the tool i used.

what did you use to clean your pistons? I'm afraid of f-ing something up.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:13 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

I just use alot those bluepaper towels
Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

so scraping on the block with a tool like that is ok??? and use a wire will on the rust areas of the block is ok too??? paper towel on the top of the pistons is cool...what type of grinder did u use??? ...

more specifics if at all possible

Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Its like a grinder, but you use these lil disks, they are kindof soft, but do a really good job at eating away and cleaning things up. I think 3M makes the disks. If you go this route, be very careful to not touch too hard, just go over everything lightly till its gone...And be extra careful with the timing cover...
I'll try to find a pic of what it is.

And i just sprayed some degreeser and cleaner and wiped everything outa the cylinders with those blue shop towels also. Got mostly everything out.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

well polishing gasket surfaces isn't smart...you want a slight ruff suface for better gasket seal..also I hope you vacuum each cylinder out where a piston was cleaned
Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Don't bother with degreaser...if you need anything taken off just use brake cleaner...dries quick and leaves no residue. Whatever you use to scrape your gaskets, just make sure it's not Scotchbrite

Quick Reply: clean and prep block for new h/c/i