5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Found Bad frame rott

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default Found Bad frame rott

Well messing with my clutch today i was inspecting the new clutch cable the previous owner had put in. Well where it mounts to the frame right becide the motor its rotted so bad there is a 8inch by 4 inch piece of frame pulled away from the rest. To make matters worse its also where the sway bar mounts to. It just rusted and broke away. Is this common?? I can slide the sway bar mount towards the drivers side and line it back up, but i pushed it back away since it would prolly shear one of my brake lines. Has anyone delt with this? And if so whats the next step should i start ripping off my headers/brake distrobistion block Get the area cleared away and have it re-boxed it or what? Man i tell you its something new everyday with this car. Im wondering if it was $600 wasted. I mean it runs great and body need little work. Thanx all. I realy need help with this one.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:21 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Found Bad frame rott

Any one ? I just need suggestions on how to fix and if this is common in older stangs. I will say i belive it to be a northern car.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I've seen a couple foxes with some pretty serious frame rust before. The only real way to fix it is cut out whats rusted and weld in new metal which is expensive. Your probably going to have to remove a whole bunch of stuff depending what shop does the work, you might even have to pull the engine.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:36 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Yea i see your point cause there is little room between the engine and the frame there.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:16 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

join the crowd man.mine was rusted in the exact same spot..... but it's being fixed right now by my body and paint guy.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:24 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

frdmstng1986gt that actuly makes me feel alot better. I mean it sucks but at leat i know im not the only one. Now if someone would just read me carb or efi post lol. Its not your normal post asking whats better. Just in my case and knowlage of cars.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

mine is pretty virgen metal not even surface rust has formed
Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Very nice wish mine was the same way !!!! But i did get it for 600 i knew it needed work hell it runs and somewhat drives lmao (needs clutch) for 600 seemed like a decent deal to me. Even with the worst clutch in the world it still has no problem breaking the tires in first at any point lol. And i do belive it did kick out second on the drive home with her. Hard to tell shes loud ( couldnt hear emm spin or if it was the rearend falling out lmao). Stock headers stock h-pipe thats it no tails no muffs. ( yes i love the smell of spent fuel :P )
Old 03-19-2007, 05:46 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

lol, mine was 200, everything was stock, factory, EVERYTHING! maybe even the oil

question about your t-5, how does it feel? mine is hard to get into gear, 5th is impossible and grinds into reverse no matter what
Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 PM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Mine grinds into any gear any speed, even from a stop. Heyy dumb question for the day its low or out of fluid woild it grind like that even any gear from a stop ????? I still think its the clutch. thats the first thing ima replace.

Quick Reply: Found Bad frame rott